Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trouble finding rough surface knocking source

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:26 AM

Location: Paradise actually. Also known as Central New Mexico @ 7 K feet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default Trouble finding rough surface knocking source

Took my newly acquired XJ to Western Auto to locate the clunking noise from the rear part of the vehicle. It's sounds just like bad shock bushings.

So sez the very young looking western auto mechanic. In all fairness at 72 most people look pretty young to me.
However a seasoned mechanic came here to install the shocks and fuel pump I bought on young mechanic's say so sez nope. Bushings are fine, no fuel pump needed but he can't find the noise source either. It's not a subtle noise. But after listening and then exploring under the jeep he has no idea where it could be coming from, except to say it could be body/frame compoents components. I realize the futility of email diagnosing but there are a ton of us here who drive on rough surfaces.

Have any of you found any unlikely metal to metal thumping noises in your mobile allies?

Ron
Old 02-20-2017, 02:24 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by ron45
Took my newly acquired XJ to Western Auto to locate the clunking noise from the rear part of the vehicle. It's sounds just like bad shock bushings.

So sez the very young looking western auto mechanic. In all fairness at 72 most people look pretty young to me.
However a seasoned mechanic came here to install the shocks and fuel pump I bought on young mechanic's say so sez nope. Bushings are fine, no fuel pump needed but he can't find the noise source either. It's not a subtle noise. But after listening and then exploring under the jeep he has no idea where it could be coming from, except to say it could be body/frame compoents components. I realize the futility of email diagnosing but there are a ton of us here who drive on rough surfaces.

Have any of you found any unlikely metal to metal thumping noises in your mobile allies?

Ron
How is the exhaust hanger looking?? Check it for play,, The exhaust might be knocking on the crossmember.. Look at Pic for where to look.. the hanger right above crossmember.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Do you have skid plates? I used to get some banging on rough roads and it turned out to be a weak transmission mount allowing the transfer case to knock on the skid plate.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:46 AM

Thank you Dumajones, I'll take another look in that area and give things another poke. I appreciate your time,

Ron
Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 AM

`nuther good idea, I'd forgotten about the various mounts under there. I had to replace those on the Outback [ differential ] I had for just that kind of noise.

Ron