Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tried to change the diff fluid by removing the diff cover. Failed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Tried to change the diff fluid by removing the diff cover. Failed.

Once I realized the rear shock looked way harder then the internet made it seem (basic 13mm wrench would not reach the bolt in that cavity above), I decided to try to at least change my diff fluid. My diff cover is caked with an entire layer of sludge, so there must be a leak somewhere. I've been meaning to top it off, b/c it has to be low.

At first, I just sucked out the old fluid using a suction gun. I was refilling it and ran out of 75w-90 gear oil. So, I went to AutoZone to get a gallon of 80w-90 for $20. Since I already had to go there, I decided I will try removing the entire diff cover, in case the gasket seal has a leak, and changing the fluid that way. This would allow me to scrape the thick layer of oil and dirt that is caked on. So, I also bought diff cover RTV and brake cleaner.

Back at the XJ, I could not get the diff bolts to budge. There was little room to get any leverage with the gas tank in the way. But, I was using my 3/8" drive, and I realized I should try my 1/2" drive. I yanked and the bolts came loose with a tug. Woo!

I got all the bolts out, and had no idea how to get the diff cover off. I tried a rubber mallet but there was no where to really hit it. I tried to pull it. I decided I wasn't going to jam a screwdriver into the bottom of the seal, and ruin it in case I couldn't get the entire cover off. I also noticed that the bolts were sealed with silicone. I figured that the last guy must have caked on some serious RTV, etc. so I decided to abort. The cover seemed to really stuck on there. If I had a local friend who knew how to do this before, I'd have tried more, but I didn't want to mess with things. So, I put the bolts back in, torqued to 30lbs, and just refilled from the drain hole.

I cleaned off all the gunk with a wire brush, so I will see if the leak was from the drain plug, or the gasket. If its the gasket, I may try this job again, b/c I have almost a full gallon of 80W-90 left.

One afterthought, internet just says to fill until the fluid spills out.
But, I think I overfilled it, b/c once the fluid gets hot, it will expand and be higher than the plug.
I assume it will leak from that rubber drain plug. Oh well.

Last edited by BimmerJeeper; 10-12-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Jesus dude...... you can't even take a diff cover off? Sell the dam jeep and buy a bike. Sell all the tools you have purchased and stay away from any bolt. Please.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I don't think it expands very much. It's not uncommon for it to be installed with no gasket, just silicone. I might try something like a putty knife (or just any knife), to cut it free. If you jack the frame of the Jeep so the rear-end is hanging you will have better clearance than say, on ramps. Hope that helps!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Dude.

Remove every single bolt and smack it from the right side to the left side with a hammer. It'll pop right off.

Once it's off let all the old fluid drain.

Clean off the diff cover, and the two surfaces where they meet. Apply RTV to just the diff cover. (none on the diff itself.) Let it setup for 20 minutes or so and let line it up first shot and bolt it back up.

You don't need to torque the bolts to 30 ft/ibs. Just go to tight by hand and you're good. Just tighten them like you'd tighten a tire. Go side to side.

Once it's on, just fill it until diff fluid starts coming out. Then put the plug back in. You're done.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
Jesus dude...... you can't even take a diff cover off? Sell the dam jeep and buy a bike. Sell all the tools you have purchased and stay away from any bolt. Please.
X2 but then again only "blue collar hands" can take it off lol you must have the patients of a 13 year old girl because the way it sounds, you only tried for what? 5 min before giving up.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
the last guy must have caked on some serious RTV, etc. so I decided to abort. The cover seemed to really stuck on there.
Good thing you stopped before messing something up. As a kid I'm pretty sure I bent the first valve cover I pulled on a Chevy 6 by trying to pry it with a screwdriver.

I'm pretty sure 30 Lbs is way too much. Anyway if you jack up the frame of the Jeep so you can reach it, you should have better luck. Silicone around the perimeter of anything can attach it pretty good. (good enough for a granite counter-top)
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

A couple of things that might help you out. I'm not slamming you, but rather offering some guidance/advice.

First thing that struck me is that you didn't have enough gear lube to replace what you removed. ALWAYS have enough parts/supplies/fluids on hand BEFORE you start a project. I might add that you should probably get a new fill plug as the originals are old and notorious leakers. If you had damaged it trying to remove it and didn't have a replacement you'd be dead in the water. Using a suction gun to remove gear lube is a poor practice. You would still be leaving some nasty stuff on the bottom of the diff.

Don't give up so easily. Research your project thoroughly before wrenching and anticipate possible issues or problems. It will save you in the long run. If you had issues with removing the cover, hop online and search for an answer. A putty knife worked carefully around the cover would have been your answer. Also, leave the top bolt in but loose so when the cover does break loose it's not a huge mess. Oh, they don't have any drain plugs.....

I changed my rear diff gear lube a couple of months ago and don't recall any issues regarding not having enough room to work. If you plan on keeping the XJ, you might look into a Lube Locker (reusable gasket) so you don't have to fight the RTV every time you change the gear lube.

Listen, learn and persevere......
Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Word!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 PM

bigger hammer..

more patience.

try it again..

or have a friend help you out and show you whats up.

we all had to learn somehow.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by rackem
bigger hammer..

more patience.

try it again..

or have a friend help you out and show you whats up.

we all had to learn somehow.
He can't learn. He just can't
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

He can't learn. He just can't
This thread made me lol. Dude, diff is easy. Smack with a hammer and gently work off by going around with a flathead

Good Lord.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Mallet
Slot screwdriver
Prybar

There's nothing holding that diff cover on aside from RTV.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

"Tried to change the diff fluid by removing the diff cover. Failed."

lol, I've got nothing.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Lolz

Can you use a pressure washer? Do they have pressure washing do it yourself car washes in NY? Clean that rear axle...

Take out all the bolts except the top one, use a hammer (rubber, dead blow, framing, whatever) and hit the cover on the bottom right corner away from the housing. There is a rather large overlap of the cover and housing, enough space to smack it.

Be a man, man.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: inline 6

Hahaha but what if his bike needs wrenching?

Quick Reply: Tried to change the diff fluid by removing the diff cover. Failed.