Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TreadWright Retreads: Which tread is best for which conditions?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default TreadWright Retreads: Which tread is best for which conditions?

Looking at the 31/10.5R15 tire options from TreadWright, I'm trying to decide which tread pattern to get. Which pattern is best for what (e.g., snow/ice, rain, mud, noise, etc)?

Options are: ATB's, A/T's, OTR's, and MTG's. Pics of the different patterns can be found here: http://treadwright.com/shopNowresult...8&submit1.y=8#

Thanks,
s
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

In mud, the MTG is gonna be a loser. It's a MT/R clone and the MT/R is awful in the gooey stuff but is a pretty good tire for other terrains and not terribly loud on the road.

The OTR looks like ALOT of mud tires out there. I had some Dunlops and a couple of other knock off with that pattern. Pretty good in the gooey stuff. But LOUD on the road. And not real good on snowy/slippery roads.

The ATB looks like a BFG A/T. I would expect similar average performance off-road and really good road manners.

The A/T pattern looks familar but I can't place it.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993 2 door
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Everything looks like its on back order. I wonder how long that list is.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by whowey
In mud, the MTG is gonna be a loser. It's a MT/R clone and the MT/R is awful in the gooey stuff but is a pretty good tire for other terrains and not terribly loud on the road.

The OTR looks like ALOT of mud tires out there. I had some Dunlops and a couple of other knock off with that pattern. Pretty good in the gooey stuff. But LOUD on the road. And not real good on snowy/slippery roads.

The ATB looks like a BFG A/T. I would expect similar average performance off-road and really good road manners.

The A/T pattern looks familar but I can't place it.
The OTR's work great and the get Louder the more they wear but are an EXCELLENT tire I have been running them for a year and a half almost on my Daily Driven XJ. For the price they rock. Now i want some KM2's when i step it up to 31's
Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

i have mtgs on the front and otrs on the back. Kinda goofy but I destroyed my tie rod on the trail and drove home without knowing and lunched my front tires. Bought the mtrs to 2nd time around to try them out.

the otrs have larger blocks and more space for clearing. The mtgs have really tall narrow tread blocks that allow them to bend over and the rubber is pretty soft.

can't say anything about wear, ive only have the mtrs on for ~3k and the orts for ~15k obviously the mtrs have more tread so its hard to tell

mtgs are quieter, by quite a bit i would say
haven't tried the mtgs in the snow, would assume they would be good though, cause lots of small edges are better then few large ones in that stuff

also check their site, but i think the mtgs (although both are 31x10.5s) are a tad wider and taller when they come out. that was my main reason for trying them.

as far as back order, i ordered mine when they wern't in stock and they still showed up in 4 days, I may have gotten lucky, or they may just be covering their back if it does infact take a little longer for them to meet the order

ive been happy with both, they both work pretty well, the mtgs plug a tad easier and are quieter, pretty common trade off.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

The OTR's do work well in mud, and snow. Well I got the ultra grip as well, and snow offroad it was a serious help. The OTR's would be my pick again.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

I just ordered the 30x9.50 muds (5) shipped for $424.70. I'll let you guys know how they are.