Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transsmission problem or Electrical problem???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default Transsmission problem or Electrical problem???

I searched the forum for this problem but didn't really find anything similar to this. I have a 2000 XJ RHD. It has been throwing a CEL since I bought it about six months ago. It ran great, no problems until about a month ago. It started to, at random intervals, seem to jerk or buck briefly. Usually only one jerk and it was over with. When this happened the CEL would go off for about 10 or 15 seconds then come back on. So I stopped at o'reilly's and borrowed their code reader. It read 2 codes. P0740 and P1694. P0740 is the TCC solenoid error. So at first I was thinking that this problem was in the transmission. Well... I kept driving it and now it has gotten worse. Now it only seems to do it right after the tranny shifts up usually between 40-55mph. But now it bucks/sputters as long as I'm giving it gas. I can let off the gas and it quits. While it's bucking/sputtering the RPM gauge drops to 0 like it has lost power or something. So now I'm think that something is happening in the tranny to short out the power for ignition system. Is this possible or am I way off track here? Please Help!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the net: DTC P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes

Failed Crank Position Sensor
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.
Failed CPS Symptoms -

-Fuel gauge and voltage gauges may not work or display properly.

-You sometimes will have No Bus on the odometer after 30-60 seconds.

-NO spark at the spark plugs.

-Fuel pressure is OK at the fuel rail.

If the CPS is failed sometimes the OBDII code reader cannot make a connection to the computer or cannot read Check Engine Light/MIL codes because the CPS has failed.

Crank sensors can have intermittent "thermal failure". This means that the sensor fails when engine gets hot, but works again when it cools back down. CPS failure with the JEEP 4.0 L is common at 80,000-100,000 and will often cause secondary Check Engine Light/MIL codes.

Diagnostic steps to confirm the CPS is the cause of your no-start
You might be able to verify a bad cps, by unplugging it, and turning the ignition key to on. If the voltage gauge and/or the fuel gauge now displays correctly, replace the CPS.

Crankshaft Position Sensor TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 - 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

CCD Bus Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'd bet on the crank position sensor. They are one of things notorious for causing numerous driveability issues on our vehicles. While I'm not big for "throwing parts at a problem", this is one that won't be wasted money if it doesn't completely fix it. It's a relatively safe bet that if it isn't bad right now, it will be eventually. They average about $80 and everybody sells them.

To replace a CPS, you need to have at least the front of the XJ up in the air. Ramps will do. You will need a 3/8" socket set and a LONG extension bar to reach as well as a "wobble" flex joint for the socket. It is located on the top of the bell housing on the driver side. If memory serves, it is a 10mm socket to remove the two nuts holding the assembly to the transmission (I replaced two, but cannot remember for certain. "Old Timers" disease). The easiest approach from my experience is to come along the transmission linkage to hit the bolts. The plug it is attached to is near the firewall just to the left of the valve cover over the intake manifold. To replace it with the new sensor, attach the plug and drop it down behind the engine to where it needs to be. Replace the plastic cover for the flywheel that the sensor drops down through and replace the nuts.

It's a tight job and not the easiest sensor to replace by virtue of location. On the other hand, if you have the tools and a bit of patience, you shouldn't need to pay someone to replace it, either.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: straight 6

We'll... I know it's been a while since I have updated this post but here is where I am at. The problem just went away for several months then came back and is even worse than before. I have replaced the crank sensor, TPS, and the fuel pump. Still have the same issue. I have verified the wiring harness connecting the ecu. Can anyone tell me where the TCM is located? Any other ideas? I appreciate the help on this guys.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

TCM is under the dash above the right foot. Held in with 2 8mm screws. One large wire connector
Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

It's going on 3 years and you still haven't figured out your problem. At that rate you would be better off having someone else work on it for you.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by may pop
TCM is under the dash above the right foot. Held in with 2 8mm screws. One large wire connector
Not in a RH Drive XJ.

Guess again.