Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission stalls in 1st gear? Dies when stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Transmission stalls in 1st gear? Dies when stopped.

I have a 98 Cherokee and this is the first time it has happened...

Today while driving i stopped at a stop sign and then the jeep started to sound like it was dying, so quickly parked and turned the jeep off, waited an hour and still was running bad. In park it runs rough and if u switch into reverse or drive it runs really bad like it was resisting or buckling.. idk the right term for it. Dad tried to drive it home but Jeep kept dying while idle and i had to towe it home. He told me after the jeep gets out of 1-2nd gear it drives fine. What kind it be? I really need the jeep fixed before college starts for i can sell it and have a more reliable vehicle..

He says its transmission failing at first, and also said i can switch out a 2wd transmission i have laying on the side with the 4x4 thats in and still have 4x4 components.. i dont think this is true but if that is , i can do that . BUT does anybody know whats happened??
Old 07-29-2017, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Well the 2wd transmission if i remember is the same exact thing as a 4x4 just has a transfer case after it then the driveshaft. so it should swap normally. As for the issue i have no clue sorry.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Get codes checked. It could be a electrial or mechanical issue.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Thats the thing I question. My dad says i can just swap the 2wd trans with the 4wd jeep and its fine, but I dont know if thats true, because if ur converting a 2wd into a 4wd dont u get a new 4x4 transmission because the trans are made different? I just could be saying stupid stuff rn. idk really
Old 07-29-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Well the 2wd transmission if i remember is the same exact thing as a 4x4 just has a transfer case after it then the driveshaft. so it should swap normally. As for the issue i have no clue sorry.
Thats the thing I question. My dad says i can just swap the 2wd trans with the 4wd jeep and its fine, but I dont know if thats true, because if ur converting a 2wd into a 4wd dont u get a new 4x4 transmission because the trans are made different? I just could be saying stupid stuff rn. idk really
Old 07-29-2017, 05:12 PM

to me it seems you might have other issues as well. You say it has a tough time idling? You may have fuel delivery issues, improper ignition etc. Try starting it in neutral (with the e-brake on obviously) and see if it's still running rough. is the check engine light on? Do you have a way of scanning the ECU and getting some code #'s?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Makavelio
You can put a 2wd tranny in but cant use transfer case it will be 2wd only. Atleast manuals are that way
Attached Images  

Last edited by freegdr; 07-30-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Makavelio
I have a 98 Cherokee and this is the first time it has happened...

Today while driving i stopped at a stop sign and then the jeep started to sound like it was dying, so quickly parked and turned the jeep off, waited an hour and still was running bad. In park it runs rough and if u switch into reverse or drive it runs really bad like it was resisting or buckling.. idk the right term for it. Dad tried to drive it home but Jeep kept dying while idle and i had to towe it home. He told me after the jeep gets out of 1-2nd gear it drives fine. What kind it be? I really need the jeep fixed before college starts for i can sell it and have a more reliable vehicle..

He says its transmission failing at first, and also said i can switch out a 2wd transmission i have laying on the side with the 4x4 thats in and still have 4x4 components.. i dont think this is true but if that is , i can do that . BUT does anybody know whats happened??
start here! that transmission will have no effect at idle in park.....check it for codes stored, or have it checked. but don't blame the transmission without first starting with the first issue, a badly running engine will suffer under the load of first and reverse because of a badly running engine
Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Willys55
start here! that transmission will have no effect at idle in park.....check it for codes stored, or have it checked. but don't blame the transmission without first starting with the first issue, a badly running engine will suffer under the load of first and reverse because of a badly running engine
Willys55 nailed it here. The tranny has zero effect on a poorly running motor in park. Your XJ's issue lies elsewhere. As others have suggested, what codes does it have, if any?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:08 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

If your car is running poorly even when when you're parked, that can't be your tranny. Have your battery checked, Jeeps and Chrysler's are known for not running well even on a sub par battery. Also, check you IAC (Idle Air Controller). It's right next to your throttle. You can find some good videos on YouTube on how to clean it. I'd start there before putting any money into it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The tranny can and will bog the motor down and kill it in park if the torque converter lock-up clutch is not disengaging as it should. Considering things get better as it gets out of 1-2 gear. This needs to be ruled out.

A vehicle that bogs down and dies at it comes to a stop sign is a common symptom for problems with torque convertor lock-up clutch disengagement.