Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission slip in reverse only

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission slip in reverse only

Now that the major issues of my "new" 94 xj are fixed, I am looking at other issues.

When I bought it I thought it had piston slap. Turned out to be a loose torque converter. A mech found it, tightened the bolts, quiet as a mouse now. Then I started to wonder if the loose torque converter would harm or damage anything if it had been left that way for a long time. The DPO said "the piston slap has been getting worse for a long time". I think he meant a couple years at 10,000 miles a year and a couple years.

The trans was rebuilt by AAMCO at 160,000 miles and a receipt for $2500 was in with the other paperwork. It now has 206k. The inspection cover at the front of the trans was missing. This was discovered when the bolts were tightened. The mech said don't bother replacing it, nothing much can get up in there. I'm not comfortable with that so I mean to correct it. But I wonder if the AAMCO shop left it off or the DPO left it off...or it just fell off.

Now to the problem: I drove down a path on our farm yesterday to pick my wife up and head out for ice cream. When I put it in reverse, it seemed to back up for a few feet...then start slipping...then it caught and kept backing. It did it again moments later. It never slips in forward and has never before slipped in reverse.

I thought maybe it was not completely engaged but...hmmmm, how is that possible? Its either in or out, right? I thought bands are slipping but why not in forward?

The trans seems to shift with AUTHORITY into drive or reverse from a stop. By that I mean the engagement is sharp and positive - maybe too stout, even. You'll want to have your foot on the brake when putting it into drive. While driving, it shifts perfectly. Whether I hammer the throttle or just drive out normally, all seems well.

Any thoughts on this??
Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Fluid levels? What does the fluid on the dipstick look like? Be cautious about gunning it until you get it figured out.

slipping = damage
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Back in my brit bike days, DPO meant "dreaded previous owner". I'm starting to think maybe there ought to be a "dreaded CURRENT owner" label for idiots that assume a sixteen year old XJ's problems are all catastrophic and don't bother CHECKING THE FLUID LEVEL.

I went out the minute I read your note and discovered, to my astonishment, LOW FLUID at idle in nuetral. Duh. Duh. Duh.

I'm so embarassed I didn't want to write this.

I'll go to the parts store, buy some fluid and report back.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CAEMI
Back in my brit bike days, DPO meant "dreaded previous owner". I'm starting to think maybe there ought to be a "dreaded CURRENT owner" label for idiots that assume a sixteen year old XJ's problems are all catastrophic and don't bother CHECKING THE FLUID LEVEL.

I went out the minute I read your note and discovered, to my astonishment, LOW FLUID at idle in nuetral. Duh. Duh. Duh.

I'm so embarassed I didn't want to write this.

I'll go to the parts store, buy some fluid and report back.

pick up a new trans filter, a bunch of ATF and do it right. You don't know the mileage on that fluid. If it slipped at all you might have debris and band material in the filter now.

Best to start out fresh.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM

Roger that. Where is the trans filter and how do I change it? How much fluid do I need?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CAEMI
Roger that. Where is the trans filter and how do I change it? How much fluid do I need?
it is right under the tranny pan.

A bunch of bolts hold the pan on, the filter is the squarish thing right under the pan.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Got it. I just searched the job and learned:

1. The dipstick is a pain to get loose.
2. No one can agree on the correct fluid to use.
3. The correct gasket is hard to find.
4. Everybody hates doing the job.

SO, with all that said...is this as bad a job as people make it out to be?

And, is the issue of FLUID settled??
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

1. The dipstick is a pain to get loose.

I did not have to loosen the dipstick on my 94, 95 or 98 jeeps.

2. No one can agree on the correct fluid to use.

I use what the manual says, which I can't remember at this moment

3. The correct gasket is hard to find.

It really isn't. If the gasket doesn't come with the new filter then a replacement may not be necessary, clean and use your old gasket.

4. Everybody hates doing the job.

It takes less then an hour. and the most tedious things are taking all the bolts off/ putting them back on and pouring all the new fluid in.

Last edited by razor02097; 06-21-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks. I'm off to the parts store.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Okie dokie. I can't go to the parts store because my parts aren't in. So I found a couple quarts of Dex III in the barn, warmed up the Jeep, and checked the fluid.

1. The dipstick says check while in neutral.
2. The Owner's Manual says check while in Park.

So, me, the DCO, checked both and both were low. I added a quart, still low, added another half quart, now it's just a wee bit over full...in neutral and in park.

Could being a quart and a half low cause the little bit of slippage I felt in reverse?

Also, I sniffed and rubbed and the fluid seems perfect to me - as fresh out off the dipstick as out of the bottle. Should I still bother to drain, change filter, and so-on??

BTW, thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Yeah just that much low can cause those issues. I drained and refilled mine not too long ago and apparently was short refilling it. It almost crashed through my garage door when I put it into Drive, as I wasn't prepared for the hard jerk. And it slipped in reverse quite a bit backing out of my driveway.

I put about 1.5 quarts in, it showed full, and it was good to go. No issues.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

wow you where more then a quart low?! Do you have any ATF leaks?

You don't have to change the filter and fluid... it is just what I would do if I where in your situation. Cheap insurance compared to a trans repair.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
wow you where more then a quart low?! Do you have any ATF leaks?

You don't have to change the filter and fluid... it is just what I would do if I where in your situation. Cheap insurance compared to a trans repair.

Yeah, I'd say so - maybe a tad less than 1.5 Qt but not much.

I'm guessing but wondering if the loose torque converter might have allowed minor bits of fluid to escape over time. The underside of the car is coated in dirt/oil/dirt. Not terrible...it's 16 years old...but you'll need a good bit of GoJo to clean up after working on it.

The bottom of the trans/TC is also coated with a light film of oil. I've wondered whether it was leakage or just residual oil from oil changes, etc. There isn't enough anywear to leave a spot on the floor...just enough to make a nice coating of grime.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

you mean TC to flywheel? Probably not... maybe the PO never checked the fluid level? After a trans service it is usually required to check the fluid level after a few miles.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM

That's what I'd bet on. He probably figured it never needed checking.

I'll probably leave it alone for a few months...see what it behaves like and check it often.

Thanks again for the dialogue.

Quick Reply: Transmission slip in reverse only