Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transmission lines routing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default transmission lines routing

96 engine, 00 trans, 00 radiator/condenser, in 00 xj. All of these parts are donors as I only had a body to start with.

Ive done some research and have figured that the rear most line at the trans is the return line to the top fitting on the radiator. However, Im not sure how to route them like factory since there are several bends, what fittings on the rad are the upper and lower since there are multiples, and I've had to cut the lines do to twisting/crimping and install rubber hoses connections.

So to make it easier, where are the upper and lower rad fittings? my lines have worm clamps for the rad fitting sides but i thought I saw that they were supposed to be push in type. Maybe changed due t leaks or for removal from PO.

Next, starting with the return line (rear most) how does it route, above or below the starter, does this one go under the oil pan or in front of the engine, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Billy Bee
96 engine, 00 trans, 00 radiator/condenser, in 00 xj. All of these parts are donors as I only had a body to start with.

Ive done some research and have figured that the rear most line at the trans is the return line to the top fitting on the radiator. However, Im not sure how to route them like factory since there are several bends, what fittings on the rad are the upper and lower since there are multiples, and I've had to cut the lines do to twisting/crimping and install rubber hoses connections.

So to make it easier, where are the upper and lower rad fittings? my lines have worm clamps for the rad fitting sides but i thought I saw that they were supposed to be push in type. Maybe changed due t leaks or for removal from PO.

Next, starting with the return line (rear most) how does it route, above or below the starter, does this one go under the oil pan or in front of the engine, etc.

Thanks!

Will this help.

Name:  AW4TransCoolerPlumbing.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  101.6 KB
Old 10-29-2016, 10:51 AM

That does help. Looks like they both go under the starter from the trans and under the oil pan. Appreciate the help, should be able to figure it out from here. If any one has pics of their routing though that would be super helpful!
Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Some routing pics.

There's a notch in the steering box for the lower radiator line hose to nest in.

Name:  Cooler%20Line%201.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  922.5 KB
Name:  Cooler%20Line%202.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  890.7 KB
Name:  Cooler%20ine%203.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  934.2 KB
Name:  Cooler%20Line%204.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  900.6 KB
Name:  Cooler%20Line%205.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  915.5 KB
Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 AM

Awesome pics i appreciate it! I was close but this seals the deal.