Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transmission fluid questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 258 AMC
Default transmission fluid questions

My 1992 jeep cherokee has been leaking tranny fluid from a rubber hose on the tranny line.. it was originally the 4.0 but i have recently rebuilt it in to the 4.6 stroker. i have never done anything to the tranny though. My first question is.. can i just replace the rubber hose.. or is it necessary to replace the entire line?
second... i am extremely low on fluid now.. i havent been driving it because i dont want to be replacing a tranny. This is my brothers jeep.. and he is the one who rebuilt the engine and has done the majority of the work on this jeep. he is out of contact for the next few months and we are only able to email once a week. before i could talk to my brother i went into autozone to see if they could tell me what kind of tranny fluid i should put in.. after looking it up in their system i was told a dex/merc mix is what i should put in. i didnt really want to trust autozone so i decided to wait until i could see what my brother had to say. he wasnt able to talk long and only told me he wasnt positive... but thought i should put atf4 in it... i am not sure what was in it before.. and i dont know what to put in it now. any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I'm not sure where in the lines that you're talking about. Are you meaning the lines that run to the radiator? If so, you should just be able to replace that short piece of rubber line.
As for fluid, you want Dexron III/Mercon (or compatible). You don't want to use ATF+4. It might not cause any problems but there have been problems replorted after using it. Our AW-4's were made for the DexIII and it is what you should use. It's just a little over $3 a quart at Wally-World (SuperTech brand).
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Replace the rubber lines and fill with Dexron-III/Mercon. ATF+4 was Chrysler's only remaining remotely appropriate lubricant once they stopped carrying third party fluid for a third party transmission when the warranty ran out.

Last edited by salad; 09-04-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
I'm not sure where in the lines that you're talking about. Are you meaning the lines that run to the radiator? If so, you should just be able to replace that short piece of rubber line.
As for fluid, you want Dexron III/Mercon (or compatible). You don't want to use ATF+4. It might not cause any problems but there have been problems replorted after using it. Our AW-4's were made for the DexIII and it is what you should use. It's just a little over $3 a quart at Wally-World (SuperTech brand).

thanks!! yeah i am talking about the line that runs to the radiator. i got the dexIII/mercron fluid and i am ready to put it back in and fix the line.

My question now is.... how do i add and check. i've always heard the best way to check the fluid is with the engine at running temperature and in neutral. is that what i should do? im thinking i will put a half a quart in.. and take it for a drive.. then i will check it in neutral.

any other suggestions for me??
Old 09-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

I literally just got done replacing that same hose today. I bought the whole transmission line both steel and rubber hose. Its alot easier to replace both, atleast for me.. It came connected already so all I had to do was put the tranny line in the transmission and the hose into the radiator line. Really easy. You might have to spread the teeth on the hose connecter inside the rubber hose. So it grabs onto the radiator line. And buy new Disconnects for the steel line that goes into the Tranny.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM

The best way to check the fluid is to make sure ur on even ground, engine warm, in neutral or park. When you check it add sum then wait a little to check ur dipstick. When you fill it up the fluid runs down the dipstick tube so it gets all over the dipstick and you wont have an accurate reading.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by KicknUpMud
I literally just got done replacing that same hose today. I bought the whole transmission line both steel and rubber hose. Its alot easier to replace both, atleast for me.. It came connected already so all I had to do was put the tranny line in the transmission and the hose into the radiator line. Really easy. You might have to spread the teeth on the hose connecter inside the rubber hose. So it grabs onto the radiator line. And buy new Disconnects for the steel line that goes into the Tranny.
if it is easier to replace the whole thing i may do that as well! did you have to drain all your fluid to do it??
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Nope, the fluid thats in the line will drain out but no fluid from my transmission came out, just fluid in the line. Cost me $40 from AutoZone. They may have to order the part. The part # is B61147 ill post a link

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...artNumber=true
Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 PM

My xj is 4.0 I6 AW4 transmisison 4wd
Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM

thanks!! i think that is what i will do! you said you had to buy disconnects as well?? also from autozone?

i usually have help when i work on my jeep.. but i recently moved and all my mechanics live back home so i am on my own for this one!! hopefully i can figure it out!!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Im 19 and learned everything off this forum. Changed all my sensors, swapped my own tranny, ect just by this forum. Great people here I would replace the disconnects on the steel line just because there like $5 for a couple, so why not. I have to go to work now but ill be on tonight if you need help with anything.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by KicknUpMud
Im 19 and learned everything off this forum. Changed all my sensors, swapped my own tranny, ect just by this forum. Great people here I would replace the disconnects on the steel line just because there like $5 for a couple, so why not. I have to go to work now but ill be on tonight if you need help with anything.

thanks for the help! I'm 19 as well.. and i have grown up around cars.. and fixing them my entire life. pretty much never paid a mechanic to do anything. but since i am a girl... i usually just watched while my dad and brothers did all the work now that i have moved away for school i'm having to learn real quick how to work on my jeep its a toy that takes a LOT of upkeep. I'll track down the tranny line and ill let you know if i have any questions!!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

did you get it done?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mentalbreakdown00
did you get it done?
I had to order parts in... They will be in in the next hour or so. I'm going to see what the connectors are like and hope to get it done tonight
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

ok well i may or may not be up its almost 10 pm here and tomorrow is woods day, gott finish my tree stand and all for bambi daddy killing season next weekend

Quick Reply: transmission fluid questions