Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transmission in and....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Arrow transmission in and....

I Put in my new transmission and i finally went to go start it and it started to buck and make a loud clingy pounding noise . Now...

Its not blown, i 100% trust the dude i got it from. The tranny i got wasnt marked so it leads me to believe i didnt line it up correctly...

Before i go and start to undo all my hard work, does this problem really sound like i didnt line it up correctly?? any opinion helps really.... Thanks!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Flex plate?

Did you take the flex plate off and forget to tighten any bolts on it?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

negative ghost rider. i tightened everything down like how i read and got told how to do it...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Curious... when you installed the torque converter did you seat it all the way?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

define seat? i just "locked" in the torque converter to fly wheel
Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

So you didn't have to install the torque converter into the transmission?

In a new converter you need to fill it with about 1 quart of fluid (depending on the size). When seating it in the transmission you should place it on the shaft and slowly rotate. You should hear 3 clicks for it to be seated correctly.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

i thought i just had to basically mark the flywheel and the new transmission just to basically try to line up the torque convert??? idk
Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by razor02097
Curious... when you installed the torque converter did you seat it all the way?
like this
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Seasoned Member

i even have to do that even if i pulled it out of another vehicle?? my thought was since i got it used i could just put it in there? i never once thought i had to pull out the torque converter and make it click twice?? man you learn something new everyday...

So with this all said and after watching the clip... should i pull it all the way out and make sure i didnt blow the pump??
Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

The converter HAS to be placed on the front pump shaft of the tranny and spun and pushed back until it seats into the SUN gears of the tranny. When installed on the dowel pins and 2 or 3 bolts tightened you should have some space between the converter and the flywheel/flexplate.

IF you bolted the converter to the flexplate and then installed the trans could be BAD news.

No you do not have to prefill the converter. If its an already used one there is always some fluid left in it. If it was a brand new one YES then pour about a quart in there.

When everything is ready to go you usually pump or pour about 4-5 quarts into the trans before starting it. Then as it is running pour in the full amount less about 1 quart so you don't overfill.

Run it through its gears -forward /reverse-at idle brake pedal down to get the fluid through the trans. Wait til she starts to get warm and start checking.

The fluid should ALWAYS be checked when at full operating temp-Jeep placed in park or nuetral..
Old 05-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by myHEEPis.rad
i even have to do that even if i pulled it out of another vehicle?? my thought was since i got it used i could just put it in there? i never once thought i had to pull out the torque converter and make it click twice?? man you learn something new everyday...

So with this all said and after watching the clip... should i pull it all the way out and make sure i didnt blow the pump??

U could have broken the sun gears-chipped or cracked the bushing and/or seals-cracked the converter hub.

It will all have to be taken out and checked.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by myHEEPis.rad

when you bolted the tranny up did it go up againts the motor by hand or did you draw it up with the bolts? when you bolted the convertor to the fly wheel did you have to slide the convertor up a little to bolt it up?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
when you bolted the tranny up did it go up againts the motor by hand or did you draw it up with the bolts? when you bolted the convertor to the fly wheel did you have to slide the convertor up a little to bolt it up?

Yea -if u had to draw it in the converter was not in all the way--it should butt up to the back of the block-have the bolts tight and there should be room between the flywheel and converter---Good call freegdr
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 ported Renix with straight pipes
Thumbs up

x2 get it checked out,
when i was new to wrenching i had tried to put my engine in with the tc bolted to the flexplate along time ago.... but i didn't get nearly that far as to get the engine bolted to the bellhousing before i realized i was doing something seriously wrong, i just screwed up the seal. but sounds like you might have done some damage, better get it checked by good tranny shop. sometimes it is just better to have someone else do it......
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
no i didnt have to actually. it just bolted right up. didnt have to slide anything actually.

Quick Reply: transmission in and....