Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans problem i had the other day

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default Trans problem i had the other day

Hey all, just wanted to share with you an issue I had the other day just in case anyone else has this same issue. So I decided to take the streets home from Santa Monica to to downtown Los Angeles last week which is about 18 miles. Anywho, the jeep was fine until the last few miles when all of a sudden I starting hearing noise from the trans and it would go anywhere any more. I **** it off and waited about a minute and refired it and drove off with no problems. After about a minute of drive the trans went out again where I would be in DRIVE and it would just rev up like I was in neutral. I ended up limping it home that day. I drained the trans fluid and found it not only black but very very thin, almost water thin. I replaced the filter added some Lucas Stop Slip and filled the rest with trans fluid. Hasn't gave any issues since. I think I just happen to get the trans hot that since I was driving hard on it. The trans is also set up to be shifted manually with a toggle switch while the trans computer is powered down.