Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trailer hitch receiver vs tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trailer hitch receiver vs tow hooks

I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money and get a response receiver or just buy hooks. I just need rear recovery, no towing.

Other question is.. The mounting area isn't in the best condition, where the nut strips go. How big of an issue of that and is there any way to repair that area? I just don't want to rip the hooks out lol. I already have shackle relocation brackets installed there.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Trailer hitch grabs both sides, hooks only have one each. Do the hitch.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 PM

Year: 1998, 1997
Engine: 4.0 6Cyl, 4.0 6Cyl

Go for the hitch, stronger, bolted to both sides not just one, you can get a tow hook towbar, plus always good to have on the off chance that you'll need to tow something. I never needed to ever tow anything until I got rid of my truck with towing package. 2 weeks after I sold it I needed to flatbed a jeep home, and tow my buddy's boat across town for him. Better to have than not.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I also say hitch. I got mine and end up using it almost everyday now. I have a receiver front and back I just prefer them for recover you can do side pulls, stronger, and I feel like it helps a little with stiffening things up tying it all together. Just my .02
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: Straight 6

Great read guys. I have the tow package on my '93 country. I'm moving to Kirkwood, CA in October so there will be no shortage of snow. I'm gonna pick up a trailer hitch from wally world tomorrow!

Whats the best way to secure a hitch so people don't steal it?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:10 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Secure a trailer or the hitch? It's bolted into your frame rails so I mean...nothing? Garage?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:27 AM

Year: 1998, 1997
Engine: 4.0 6Cyl, 4.0 6Cyl

Originally Posted by kgm
Secure a trailer or the hitch? It's bolted into your frame rails so I mean...nothing? Garage?
I think he means how to secure a hitch bar, ball hitch, hook, etc, not the receiver itself.

Originally Posted by phishsihp
Great read guys. I have the tow package on my '93 country. I'm moving to Kirkwood, CA in October so there will be no shortage of snow. I'm gonna pick up a trailer hitch from wally world tomorrow!

Whats the best way to secure a hitch so people don't steal it?
Your hitch receiver is bolted into your frame, so you should have no worries there, (unless they are very determined thieves). To secure your hitch bar to the receiver, they sell locking hitch pins, either with a key or combination lock for under $20. Or, the cheaper route is to keep the hitch bar inside the vehicle when not in use, this is also beneficial as it will be less likely to rust to the receiver, less likely to be stolen, and in some states, it is little known that it is actually illegal to have your hitch bar in when you're not towing anything. Same as plow mounts, they could do more damage in the event of an accident.
Hope this helps!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money and get a response receiver or just buy hooks. I just need rear recovery, no towing.

Other question is.. The mounting area isn't in the best condition, where the nut strips go. How big of an issue of that and is there any way to repair that area? I just don't want to rip the hooks out lol. I already have shackle relocation brackets installed there.
No brainer. The whole hitch receiver deal you can throw out the window. I have never been so pissed off having a hitch. Holy crap the thing hung me up everywhere! First time wheeling with it and it came off and has been sitting in the garage ever since. Complete joke for off roading. I installed two tow hooks right where the hitch mounted.

I will wrap a chain around my axle before I use a hitch for recovery again! LOL
Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Granted the only down side is I do occasionally pull a trailer. Still I will install it every time rather than run it wheeling.

Yes I still have nightmares about that.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by holycaveman
No brainer. The whole hitch receiver deal you can throw out the window. I have never been so pissed off having a hitch. Holy crap the thing hung me up everywhere! First time wheeling with it and it came off and has been sitting in the garage ever since. Complete joke for off roading. I installed two tow hooks right where the hitch mounted.

I will wrap a chain around my axle before I use a hitch for recovery again! LOL
what hitch did you have? there are many low profile or tube hitches that tuck up real good and dont get hung up. my zj gas skid hangs lower than my hitch does

and again, dont being going off saying its a no brainer, this is your opinion, not fact. so dont be going off saying to throw that idea out the window. what might not work for you doesnt make that the truth.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
what hitch did you have? there are many low profile or tube hitches that tuck up real good and dont get hung up. my zj gas skid hangs lower than my hitch does

and again, dont being going off saying its a no brainer, this is your opinion, not fact. so dont be going off saying to throw that idea out the window. what might not work for you doesnt make that the truth.
It was a curt. Just the center sat barely below the bumper.

I mean guys run hitches all the time and have no problem. But they are not going where I go.

Everyone has different needs. Just sharing my experiences.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 AM
CF Veteran

However........

This is a tow hook vs hitch thread for recovery. I am assuming in off road situations.

No brainer. Tow hooks. They won't hang you up. And mounted properly they won't fail.

And that is a fact.

But you can get away with murder. You can have a hitch that sits where your bumper is. Your jeep can be so high it doesn't matter. A be your idea of wheeling is gravel rds? Maybe you are clueless as to where and how to use tow hooks?

There are always hitches in the equation. .....8)

Last edited by holycaveman; 09-26-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by holycaveman
However........

This is a tow hook vs hitch thread for recovery. I am assuming in off road situations.

No brainer. Tow hooks. They won't hang you up. And mounted properly they won't fail.

And that is a fact.

But you can get away with murder. You can have a hitch that sits where your bumper is. Your jeep can be so high it doesn't matter. A be your idea of wheeling is gravel rds? Maybe you are clueless as to where and how to use tow hooks?

There are always hitches in the equation. .....8)
Not clueless. If rather have both sides tied together making a stronger tow point than one side, now that's a fact.

So you're saying tow hook points that's mount to only one side(only one uniframe, one nuts trip, etc...) is stronger than a steel tubing structure that bolts and ties into TWO nuts trips and uniframes ultimately? Ya that sure sounds like facts... -_-

Not saying the one tow hook point isn't strong, but going the hitch way is stronger. Ya my front factory tow points are strong too, but give me a pull sideways on one and I can bet you it'll bend, wanna ask how I know? Now let's have a little fun and say I mounted a front hitch on my jeep and did the exact same scenario, gues which one wouldn't bend? Ya the hitch. Im gonna guess you got yourself and I mixed on facts and driving gravel roads. Because clearly you don't seem to understand "good enough"(tow hooks and "optimal"(hitch)

Last edited by Demonoid369; 09-26-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:35 AM
CF Veteran

Because ya that's totally beefier and stronger than a hitch. With the super 3 bolts on the frame and those two super beefy bolts that bolt to the stronger than titanium sheet metal lip -_-
A hitch uses at least eight grade 8 bolts! And ties the two frames together

Again this is why no one listens to you, you give crap advice. You can't seem to admit to yourself that you give bad info. ANYTHING FOR RECOVERY SHOULD BE DONE IN A OVERKILL WAY NOT "GOOD ENOUGH" that's a shi* poor way of giving advice and you know it.

Last edited by Demonoid369; 09-26-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: Straight 6

Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by KrayXJ77
I think he means how to secure a hitch bar, ball hitch, hook, etc, not the receiver itself.

Your hitch receiver is bolted into your frame, so you should have no worries there, (unless they are very determined thieves). To secure your hitch bar to the receiver, they sell locking hitch pins, either with a key or combination lock for under $20. Or, the cheaper route is to keep the hitch bar inside the vehicle when not in use, this is also beneficial as it will be less likely to rust to the receiver, less likely to be stolen, and in some states, it is little known that it is actually illegal to have your hitch bar in when you're not towing anything. Same as plow mounts, they could do more damage in the event of an accident.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch receiver vs tow hooks