Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track bar axle side bracket hole wallowed out. Redrilling new hole ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Track bar axle side bracket hole wallowed out. Redrilling new hole ok?

Im in the process of replacing stock track bar with an oem replacement, so non adjustable. I have a 96 cherokee sport 3" lift 31" tires. This is a Daily Driver and sees no offroading at all. I noticed the hole is a bit wallowed out. I have done some research and have seen many different options from, redrilling the hole and trackbar to fit an upgraded metric bolt in there, welding a washer to it, welding a new plate on the front then redrilling, redrill a hole next to it.

I would probably prefer not to do the washer cause if im going to have something welded on there id rather just do a full plate then redrill the hole. But Im wondering if I could redrill the holes to the right of it given the lift + non adjustable track bar. I was reading this forum https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tra...ack-bar-81113/ and post #5 from SeriousOffroad recommended doing this and says its ok with a 3" lift like the picture below in post #6. Has anyone done this, would this be ok to do as it would probably be the easiest thing for me to do. Also what size drill bit and drill type do I need if I use the stock bolt and nut.
Thank in advance.

Last edited by fitnessXJ; 07-26-2013 at 01:53 PM.