Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Towing with RV

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Towing with RV

Any experience towing an XJ with a 3-4" lift/31" tires? We currently tow it but are planning the lift, would like to know if there's anything ncecessary for towing due to the increased height(other than keeing the tow equipment close to level)? thanks, Dave
Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 03Rubicon,2001,1989 2-door(desribed)
Engine: 4.0 H.O. swap

What T-case do you have?
Do you remove driveshafts for towing?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Blackburn
What T-case do you have?
Do you remove driveshafts for towing?
I heard about people doing that to cut down on wear/tear on the vehicle while it's being towed. I think it's a good idea.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Should not need to dc the shafts to tow it if tc is in neutral I would think. But as a person who has never towed an XJ long distances I am not sure.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM

No need to remove driveshafts, just put trfr case in neutral and trans in park. My question is has anyone had any problems once the XJ has been lifted-tires, suspension, etc. relative to towing?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The same problems you would encounter while driving a Jeep lifted that much. Not much of any!! It should do fine lifted, besides you're not lifting it to the moon anyway, with 3"-4"s of lift you'll be good to go!! Hope this helps!! Later!!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

An RV is MUCH heavier and and a MUCH longer wheelbase than an XJ.. you will barely notice it back there. That being said.. Keep your front sway bar hooked when towing it. It keeps the body from rolling too much.

Unless you do a SYE to the rear drive shaft removing it is a NO-NO... your T-case fluid would leak out as you go down the road.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by dav5942
No need to remove driveshafts, just put trfr case in neutral and trans in park. My question is has anyone had any problems once the XJ has been lifted-tires, suspension, etc. relative to towing?
How does that work??
When my Jeep's in Park it no move. Can somebody explain??

Newbie here, but not on NAXJA
Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 03Rubicon,2001,1989 2-door(desribed)
Engine: 4.0 H.O. swap

T-case in neutral is "behind" the tranny in a driveline therefore the tranny is out of the equation.
I wasn't sure if the t-case would pump fluid in neutral I know the Toyota gear-driven cases must have the shafts removed to flat tow or you'll burn up the t-case/tranny.

I've seen people disconnect the driveshaft at the diff and just bungee it up out of the way,therefore the slip-yoke stays in.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
The same problems you would encounter while driving a Jeep lifted that much. Not much of any!! It should do fine lifted, besides you're not lifting it to the moon anyway, with 3"-4"s of lift you'll be good to go!! Hope this helps!! Later!!
Thank, Dave
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Blackburn
T-case in neutral is "behind" the tranny in a driveline therefore the tranny is out of the equation.
I wasn't sure if the t-case would pump fluid in neutral I know the Toyota gear-driven cases must have the shafts removed to flat tow or you'll burn up the t-case/tranny.

I've seen people disconnect the driveshaft at the diff and just bungee it up out of the way,therefore the slip-yoke stays in.
The thing I don't like about pulling the diff end and hanging from a bungee is the possiblity of the d-shaft bouncing out of the slip yoke and disappearing or ending up bouncing along attached by a bungee.. It probably has never happened EVER... But the first time I tried towing like that it would happen to me....
Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by whowey
The thing I don't like about pulling the diff end and hanging from a bungee is the possiblity of the d-shaft bouncing out of the slip yoke and disappearing or ending up bouncing along attached by a bungee.. It probably has never happened EVER... But the first time I tried towing like that it would happen to me....
Find an old yoke and completely remove the DS and shove the yoke in place and tie it in with bailing wire or tie wraps or even duct tape. Then you have no rotating DS or no chance of loseing the DS. Worst case would be a little leakage of Dex III, but that is unlikely too.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Find an old yoke and completely remove the DS and shove the yoke in place and tie it in with bailing wire or tie wraps or even duct tape. Then you have no rotating DS or no chance of loseing the DS. Worst case would be a little leakage of Dex III, but that is unlikely too.
I've got a brand new trailer... But I was saying with my luck, I don't take chances...
Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Renix Super Guru

So find an old yoke at the J/Y and slip it in. You can surely find something to secure it in place and then you are as safe as in your momma's arms.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:11 PM

I know this is an older post, but anyone with XJ toad experience I eould love to hear from. I am looking at gettingan older XJ and will be towing behind my 32' Winnebago. I have towed both TJ's and LJ's and assume the XJ tows the same as to how to setup the Transfer case but would love to hear from someone that knows from experience. Thanks...

Quick Reply: Towing with RV