Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tires and Lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Default Tires and Lift

Hey y'all. I got a 2000 Cherokee Sport. I looking at getting a 3" Rough Country Lift with add a leaf in the back and new coils in the front. First of all, How difficult is the add a leaf thing? I know about the rest except the add a leaf. Also, I wanna get new, "hybrid" style tires, but keep the stock wheels. Whats the maximum size tire that would fit after the lift?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countryboy215
Hey y'all. I got a 2000 Cherokee Sport. I looking at getting a 3" Rough Country Lift with add a leaf in the back and new coils in the front. First of all, How difficult is the add a leaf thing? I know about the rest except the add a leaf. Also, I wanna get new, "hybrid" style tires, but keep the stock wheels. Whats the maximum size tire that would fit after the lift?
31's would be the max without cutting your fenders. And they will rub in your lca's at full lock with factory rims. AAL isnt really that hard to install but the rear will sag quickly with AAL. Full packs or bastard packs are much better.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I just did the RC add a leaf. Bought it from Iron ROck Offroad it was pretty simple.

As long as your U Bolts aren't being a pain then you're scott free.
My Centering Pin Bolt snapped off without a hitch allowing me to install the AAL no problem.

PB Blaster
C Clamps and the normal assortment of tools necessary to support the Jeep and unfasten the bolts/nuts are really all that are required.

Heres a quick over view of a RE AAL installation on an XJ.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...uspension.html

Yours will go in the middle though...always under the next longest leaf.

Good Luck !!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0
Default New to Forum

Hello Everyone, So I finally finished rebuilding the engine, and transmission, so I got the power to run the lift kit and bigger tires not too big just some 32's. Now all I need is the Right Lift kit for my 89XJ, THE ? does anyone know what is the most complete lift kit to installed. Also something within a 1500 budget with tires and wheels.this will also be my Daily Driver besides my trail ride no extreme offroading though, I would really appreciate the response and help. THANKS
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Four Point Slow

Originally Posted by jmm0122
31's would be the max without cutting your fenders. And they will rub in your lca's at full lock with factory rims. AAL isnt really that hard to install but the rear will sag quickly with AAL. Full packs or bastard packs are much better.
+1. I did a skyjacker AAL about a year ago, and I'm getting ready to replace the entire springs. Jeep leafs are usually pretty soft and get saggy, quick. And yea, 3 inch lift w/ 31s will probably rub somewhere. Mine rub at the front bumper cap if it flexes very much (aftermarket rims).

One positive though is the AALs are cheap, quick and easy.

Just my .02 cents