Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tire Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tire Opinions

I'm going to purchase some new tires... 4 of them, in about a week.

I'd like peeps opinions on the current best tires/wear/capabilites/cost from people who recently bought all new rubber. Preferably in the last year.

Companies change, quality changes, I'm interested in now. I researched on the site, but most peoples opinions are a little old.

I'm looking at BFGs KM2s. I have Cragar Soft 8s, 15 x 8 on the way to the house. I ordered them today. Should be here next week.

Thanks in advanced.

Bill
Old 12-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've been looking a lot lately since I am in the market for new tires as well and I have come to the uiltimate conlcusion that I (personally) REALLY like the mastercraft courser MT's. And they're pretty reasonable from the right place!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Inline 6

i just got brand new goodyear wrangler authority m/t's...local walmart should carry them, they look great
Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I got new Firestone Destination A/Ts put on right before I bought mine 6 months ago. They perform really well in everything they've been in so far. I don't do any offroading, but I did take it out to some non-serviced back roads after a light rain, they had no troubles at all. If you take it easy on the gas, they perform great in snow too. Ice is a different story, but that's the same for pretty much all tires I think. Definitely recommend them!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

I've been hearing good things about Goodyear and Firestone lately.
Haven't had much luck with those, burned out too easily.
Have they started making a better product?
How long do they last?

If I spend 800 on tires, I'd like them to last, not just look good.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy

If I spend 800 on tires, I'd like them to last, not just look good.
How do you plan on using them?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

I just bought a set of 31/10.5/15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A Radials at discount tire for something like $700 for a set of 4 (it came with installation, balancing, alignment, road hazard insurance on 2 of the tires). Here are my ratings according to terrain.

Mud: Great
Light Snow: Good
Deep Snow: Awesome (I live in michigan and we see tons of snow every winter lol)
Gravel/Dirt roads: Good
Sand:Haven't tried it out but they're used in baja races so i'd bet they do well
Ice: Put it in 4wd and nothing will spin at all
Dry Asphalt: Awesome
Wet Asphalt: Awesome

They're good if you wheel with your daily driver like I do. The road traction is great along with the deep snow traction. So if you're in a state that sees tons of snow; by all means get em. I've heard that they can last as much as 50,000 miles so they're worth it plus this style has been in production for a long time so you know they're good.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988

im running goodyear mtr's and i love them, but my buddy just got a set of wrangler authority m/t's and they perform great we have been wheelin a couple times and they really impressed me
Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Seriousy? Goodyear? Has anyone looked at the Mastercraft courser? They're way better than goodyear (in my opinion...)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

ive proved my goodyears to be everything i thought they were and many of my friends have too, if your still *****ing about goodyear check what tires the military uses there goodyear, have you proved these mastercraft on and off road.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by projectmayhem
ive proved my goodyears to be everything i thought they were and many of my friends have too, if your still *****ing about goodyear check what tires the military uses there goodyear, have you proved these mastercraft on and off road.
HAHA this is an opinion forum not "let's fight forum"
I'm just saying everyone goes with goodyear and personally my second preference is good year but the mastercraft ones just look so much better and I think they're cheaper too!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

but the road mileage and off-road capabilities have been proven, look through off road magazines and look how many mtr's there are compared to mastercrafts.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Seasoned Member

IN MY OPINION. doesn't mean FACT
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Seasoned Member

just saying Mastercraft are cheap if you find a deal online, then you don't have to put up with a dyeing name brand like Goodyear :P
Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by dilljeepo
I've been looking a lot lately since I am in the market for new tires as well and I have come to the uiltimate conlcusion that I (personally) REALLY like the mastercraft courser MT's. And they're pretty reasonable from the right place!
I got these last winter.

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
I just bought a set of 31/10.5/15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A Radials at discount tire for something like $700 for a set of 4 (it came with installation, balancing, alignment, road hazard insurance on 2 of the tires). Here are my ratings according to terrain.

Mud: Great
Light Snow: Good
Deep Snow: Awesome (I live in michigan and we see tons of snow every winter lol)
Gravel/Dirt roads: Good
Sand:Haven't tried it out but they're used in baja races so i'd bet they do well
Ice: Put it in 4wd and nothing will spin at all
Dry Asphalt: Awesome
Wet Asphalt: Awesome

They're good if you wheel with your daily driver like I do. The road traction is great along with the deep snow traction. So if you're in a state that sees tons of snow; by all means get em. I've heard that they can last as much as 50,000 miles so they're worth it plus this style has been in production for a long time so you know they're good.
Great in mud? You make me laugh.
Don't spin on ice? Yet again I laugh (even harder this time). Any tire without studs will spin on ice, and sometimes even with studs they will spin.

I have proven them on and offroad. Probably one of the LONGEST lasting mt's out there. They do decent offroad but that's because they're not the most aggressive mt.

but the road mileage and off-road capabilities have been proven, look through off road magazines and look how many mtr's there are compared to mastercrafts.
Mastercrafts are made by Cooper so go ahead and add in all the Coopers too.

Quick Reply: Tire Opinions