Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tightening door handle on 2-door '99 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 AM
.:.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tightening door handle on 2-door '99 XJ?

Hey so my door handle is really loose on my driver side. I pulled the panel off and looked in the hole but the bolt you need to tighten is not directly in any hole. Am I just stupid and there is some kind of easy way to do this? From what I can tell it can not be reached unless you use something like an offset wrench. I looked at my friends door to his '91 and it's right there easily able to be accessed. Mine is nothing like that.

I'm going to take it off again tomorrow and look, but last time I did this I couldn't access the bolt and I just put the interior panel back on, lol. Going to try with these offset wrenches I just got. Hopefully that does the trick.

Surely people on this forum have done this before so hopefully I get some replies before I attempt this for the second time. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i haven't had to give mine a try on my newer xj's, but my 90 didn't fare too well once i put a wrench on it. broke the first stud off as soon as i turned the wrench, so i left the other alone. it's been like that for a few years now. it's the driver side rear door, no one uses it, i just reach inside to open it. i can do it from outside, it just takes some fussin pushing in the button and pulling it open.

you may just break yours too, once you try turning the wrench. aftermarket replacement handles are relatively inexpensive tho, and should be available through dorman.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:03 PM
.:.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by caged
i haven't had to give mine a try on my newer xj's, but my 90 didn't fare too well once i put a wrench on it. broke the first stud off as soon as i turned the wrench, so i left the other alone. it's been like that for a few years now. it's the driver side rear door, no one uses it, i just reach inside to open it. i can do it from outside, it just takes some fussin pushing in the button and pulling it open.

you may just break yours too, once you try turning the wrench. aftermarket replacement handles are relatively inexpensive tho, and should be available through dorman.
Yeah, I am going to have to try. It's getting more and more loose. I assume that means it's turning which might mean it won't break if I try. Who knows though. The most simple things become CF.

So I looked up how to replace the door handle and the obvious thing I was missing was you can removing that black plastic panel on the side of the door to get to the bolts. Lol, I still had to reach far up into the door to tighten the other side though so I only feel half retarded. Definitely needed the offset wrench too. Haha

Last edited by .:.; 06-08-2019 at 02:05 PM.