Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Thumping/bang

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Thumping/bang

Hello all, '96 classic, I have a thumping or banging when I'm slowing down to a stop sign or red light, when intake off, it's almost like the rear brakes are hanging up a bit, I looked over the brakes and everything seems to be ok, my friend said it might be the TC, something with a gear that is hanging up, is this possible being it does it on normal driving conditions in 2 wheel drive? Thanks for any help
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Year: 1997

Got almost the same thing in my 97, whe I slow down it's good but sometimes not all the time I get that thud noise sounding like something was stuck for a sec

Try and lube the splines on the the slip yoke on
the rear drivshaft with some grease.they could bind up when you hit the brakes somewhat hard and when you let ofthe brake, I have done this and it works but on mine after a few months it comes back, I was also told it could be a TC issue, the noise can be a couple diff things like loose u bolts on the leafs also
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah this ones going to be a long process it seems, really hope it's not the TC, I need to be on the beach this year lol thanks for the tip,
Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

More than likely it's the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. You can try turning the shaft when it's on the ground and see if you get any movement. also if it moves up and down. if you have any play at all, replace the u-joints and lube the slip yoke.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

u joints would be a definite possibility but i would also check leafspring and shock bushings. had a similar problem in my 96 installed new springs and bushings in rear problem gone. now I need some shims and new u joints lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

I know EXACTLY the sound and feel you describe. My 98 had that issue. It is more than likely the rear brakes. I checked the rear brakes and could find nothing. I tried replacing the shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, and all the hardware. I flushed the brake fluid, lubed the splines on the axle as well as the driveshaft, checked the U joints, changed the diff fluid and checked the rear axle bearings... all seemed okay. The issue went away for about 3 months... then one day it started doing it again... Since then I converted to disk and have not had any further issues.

Last edited by razor02097; 05-06-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by razor02097
I know EXACTLY the sound and feel you describe. My 98 had that issue. It is more than likely the rear brakes. I checked the rear brakes and could find nothing. I tried replacing the shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, and all the hardware. I flushed the brake fluid, lubed the splines on the axle as well as the driveshaft, checked the U joints, changed the diff fluid and checked the rear axle bearings... all seemed okay. The issue went away for about 3 months... then one day it started doing it again... Since then I converted to disk and have not had any further issues.
I just had all 4 brakes done, when I checked the rears 2 mths ago, the parking brake cable was hanging off the guide and after "my mechanic" who is a friend, fixed that, the problem went away, he "says" he did the rears too, I'm starting to 2nd guess but I will definitely check everything everyone suggested, thanks for all the help