Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Throttle sticking

This past weekend I got stuck in a mud hole. Water was nearly to the hood and right below the tailgate. Got it home and did some fluid changes, plugs, etc. it fired right up but now the throttle sticks. The pedal doesn't stay down and the throttle cable comes right back up do I'm stumped.. Could it be the TPS? I just cleaned the TB, IAC, MAP, and TPS the other day too
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by ThatPurpleXJ
This past weekend I got stuck in a mud hole. Water was nearly to the hood and right below the tailgate. Got it home and did some fluid changes, plugs, etc. it fired right up but now the throttle sticks. The pedal doesn't stay down and the throttle cable comes right back up do I'm stumped.. Could it be the TPS? I just cleaned the TB, IAC, MAP, and TPS the other day too
Well the TB is just a static component, so unless it was physically damaged somehow, it is fine. But, the IAC valve and TPS are suspect. The IAC valve usually has a lot of control on throttle, but the TPS hates water. So if they got soaked, you must have a snorkel right? Any why did you do plugs/fluids? Was vehicle submerged for a while?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

LOL i had this happen to me in my 98 tj but on the highway!!! just wd40 the throttle linkage, it probably just got dirty and is jamming open. i did that to mine and it worked fine since. The chick I see rolling in it hasnt mentioned any issues either so it apparently worked.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Well the TB is just a static component, so unless it was physically damaged somehow, it is fine. But, the IAC valve and TPS are suspect. The IAC valve usually has a lot of control on throttle, but the TPS hates water. So if they got soaked, you must have a snorkel right? Any why did you do plugs/fluids? Was vehicle submerged for a while?
No snorkel but it was in water for 10 hours. Just wanted to be safe so I changed the fluids.

So your saying TPS too?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by ThatPurpleXJ

No snorkel but it was in water for 10 hours. Just wanted to be safe so I changed the fluids.

So your saying TPS too?
Damn! Make sure there's nothing in axle housing! That's a long time under.. And yeah, TPS hate water. So maybe disco it and spray with air and let it sit for a while. Other than that, maybe try to get code reader on it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Damn! Make sure there's nothing in axle housing! That's a long time under.. And yeah, TPS hate water. So maybe disco it and spray with air and let it sit for a while. Other than that, maybe try to get code reader on it.
I changing all the fluids this weekend I've simply started it. Haven't driven it yet either. I'll take the TPS off tonight and clean it more thoroughly with throttle body cleaner. If that does nothing I'll run to advance and see if they have one in stock