Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throttle body mounting bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Throttle body mounting bolts

so i took off my throttle body to clean it along with my iac and all the electrical connections to the iac, tps, and maf?? well anyways while i was reinstalling the throttle body, thanks to my awesome craftsman click type torque wrench....... or my mechanical ignorance, i broke the front drivers side bolt off inside of the hole it broke off in such a way that its still holding the throttle body tightly onto the gasket. should i worry about this immediately? if so how do i remove a broken bolt, and since home depot couldn't match the bolt type, where should i look when i do need a new one. sorry for all the rookie questions. just trying to learn thanks for the help
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

even though its tight against the gasket i think the smart decsion would be to replace the bolt asap. some bolts on the XJ are jeep specfic so you will have to go to a jeep dealership and get them. probably only like 50 cents each. it could be a possiblity that a auto parts store may have them like napa. i go there instead of autozone or advance because the parts are better and the employees know what they are talking about
Old 02-02-2012, 02:28 PM

okay so dealership for the bolts. how do i go about removing the broken one?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM

I'd give a local owned hardware store my business before a dealer.

For the broken bolt, your going to have to use a broken bolt extractor, (although I don't know if they work with small diameters like that) vice grips or something similar. A quality penetrating spray will help. Take your time and it will come out.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

take all the other bolts out and try to take it off if you can. then use vise grips like stated above to turn the bolt out. i would give a local owned hardware store business first but there are some bolts that you cant get without going to a dealership or special order to a company that will do it for you for a lot of $$$. the dealership should have them in stock and cost close to nothing for them. for an example of what im talking about. i was installing lift shackles and one bolt broke so i took another one to 8 differnet hardware stores and things came close but the pitch was off.went to dealership and they said a lot of bolts on a jeep you cant get a store (their way of making you buy everything from them even if it costs a dollar)
Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

You at all handy with a wrench? I have an intake manifold and a spare bolt i'll sell ya cheap if you just wanna spend a day swapping it out.

PM me if i can help..
Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM

It all sounds good, there's a hardware store in te family but it's too far to be worth the drive. So I'm going to strip Down the throttle body to nothing, besides that broken bolt, and try to get it off. Then remove the remaining part of the bolt with some vice grips. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.