Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Things I learned changing the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Things I learned changing the fuel pump

First... don't do this when you have a full tank of gas... couldn't be helped. Advice and research didn't help get 18+ gallons of 87 octane out of the tank. And yeah, I tried the jump the relay thing... works if the pump works... doesn't if it don't.

FYI you can undo the protective plate to the Gas nozzle and siphon from the vent line with a small hard price of tubing after teasing it in there. I used Oxygen tube from grandma.
Took a heck of a long time though.

Second... this is the THIRD time I've changed pumps on these Jeeps. Please, Please, PLEASE! Someone with greater knowledge than I, do a write up on the best pumps to buy locally. Don't tell us all about the best rock auto pump you ever bought , that works flawlessly for 300000 miles when many of us need it fixed today to go to work tomorrow...

I just added a video to you tube about the Gas siphoning. I'll add one later about... CLEANING THE TANK!

It was amazing the varnish that accumulated and smudged to the bottom of the tank in my xj from 15 years of driving. Plan to spend an hour just wiping, cleaning, and rinsing.... Please only rinse with gas. Even if you use brake cleaner to remove the sludge.

Hope this rant helps someone. Wouldn't mind knowing which pumps aren't junk from the local stores though. And BTW. NAPA doesn't stock the Carter's. They're ordered in in 3 days.

Don't kneel for the Anthem. It hurts our Vets. Peace.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Thanks, going to be tackling this myself soon.

And keep your political views off the forum, I get enough of it on my own without even trying. I come on here for a distraction. And honestly, I don't care what your thoughts are. I'm not even disagreeing with you, just don't need to see someone's opinion on a jeep forum. Not trying to be dick, just letting you know.

Last edited by rgr4475; 09-25-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
First... don't do this when you have a full tank of gas... couldn't be helped. Advice and research didn't help get 18+ gallons of 87 octane out of the tank. And yeah, I tried the jump the relay thing... works if the pump works... doesn't if it don't.

FYI you can undo the protective plate to the Gas nozzle and siphon from the vent line with a small hard price of tubing after teasing it in there. I used Oxygen tube from grandma.
Took a heck of a long time though.

Second... this is the THIRD time I've changed pumps on these Jeeps. Please, Please, PLEASE! Someone with greater knowledge than I, do a write up on the best pumps to buy locally. Don't tell us all about the best rock auto pump you ever bought , that works flawlessly for 300000 miles when many of us need it fixed today to go to work tomorrow...

I just added a video to you tube about the Gas siphoning. I'll add one later about... CLEANING THE TANK!

It was amazing the varnish that accumulated and smudged to the bottom of the tank in my xj from 15 years of driving. Plan to spend an hour just wiping, cleaning, and rinsing.... Please only rinse with gas. Even if you use brake cleaner to remove the sludge.

Hope this rant helps someone. Wouldn't mind knowing which pumps aren't junk from the local stores though. And BTW. NAPA doesn't stock the Carter's. They're ordered in in 3 days.

Don't kneel for the Anthem. It hurts our Vets. Peace.
Originally Posted by rgr4475
Thanks, going to be tackling this myself soon.

And keep your political views off the forum, I get enough of it on my own without even trying. I come on here for a distraction. And honestly, I don't care what your thoughts are. I'm not even disagreeing with you, just don't need to see someone's opinion on a jeep forum. Not trying to be dick, just letting you know.
Not only that, it's against our rules here. If you want to talk politics or religion, there's plenty of other sites you can do that on...this is a Jeep forum. Let's keep it that way, please.

That's out of the way now, so I'll address the first post...Get the Bosch. It's expensive. Napa has them for sure, I THINK O'reillys can order it, don't bother with VatoZone. But look at it this way...you've replaced it 3 times you said. Even under warranty, factor in your time, just like a shop would. Yes you got a low cost pump. Problem is, you got it 3 times.

For the full tank issue, if you don't want to siphon, use a transmission jack. Remove negative battery terminal. Disconnect the filler and fuel pump electrical, jack up, remove j-bolts, lower jack. You want a second set of hands doing so with a full tank. Keep one set of hands on the tank while lowering to steady, other hands lowering the jack. Once out you can empty the contents into a large mixing tub (like for mixing concrete) and transfer to a can, or just use your friend to funnel into a can. Remove locking ring, you can get a low cost locking ring tool for the pump module at most stores...remove pump module, and drain residual. Then use compressed air to blow out any remaining liquid...IF there's a bunch of crud on the bottom, yes, wipe it out. As best you can. Once you have it clean and ready, reverse the process, be careful when putting the new module in...if you hit the float/sender assembly at all, you can throw it out of whack. Once in, replace the locking ring, tighten down with tool, then raise tank back into place, you can use the jack to put it back in if you like, I found it easier...put the j-bolts back in when in place. Remove jack. Reconnect electrical and fillers, pour in gas, and key on, then off a couple of times. Then fire it up.