Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

are these axles really worth it ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default are these axles really worth it ??

Ultimate Dana 30 CV Axles for Jeep XJ's
[CVJ30]$985.00Take your axle to the absolute highest level of torque capacity with RCV. The same technology employed in our Dana 60 ’s high strength competition series joints goes into every set. Billet chromoly CV joints replace the old school u-joints combined with chromoly inner axles deliver more power to he ground. No more busted joints, egged yoke ears, or knuckle binding with this set-up. U.S. PATENTED High durometer spherical seals keep all the nasty stuff out and can take more abuse than any traditional CV boot. Set includes 27 inner axles for stock Jeep XJ width housings. Custom widths available. Comes with our “You break it and we’ll replace it” warranty. *This set requires the $44.95 Dana 30 27 spline disconnect block-off kit.*
Attached Thumbnails are these axles really worth it ??-jeepaxles.jpg  
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JP magazine did a write-up this past month. They supposedly make your D30 axles almost as strong as a D60. Also, the CV joint doesn't bind and unbind like a u-joint, making the transfer of power smoother to your front wheels. If the hype is true, my opinion is that they are worth it.

I have an idea...buy them and tell me how well they work.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Sounds realy cool but I have always been a salvage yard kind of guy and you coul just get real d60's for a quarter of the cost.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I have a hard time believing anyone would say an aftermarket shaft makes a d30 as strong as a d60 I have done some reading on these, because I want a set for my truggy. I was looking at the d60 set. They are super tough. Hard to justify the expense till I start breaking stuff.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...kit/index.html

Sounds like the weak point in a conventional front axle is the universal. According to the test in the article, the cv joint never broke, but the axle snapped at close to the same point that a D60 tosses a u-joint. Who knows...maybe it's bs. If not, it sure would be easier to swap these in and forget the whole axle hunting, welding, swapping, etc. to get something as stong as a D60 in an XJ.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahenderl
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...kit/index.html

Sounds like the weak point in a conventional front axle is the universal. According to the test in the article, the cv joint never broke, but the axle snapped at close to the same point that a D60 tosses a u-joint. Who knows...maybe it's bs. If not, it sure would be easier to swap these in and forget the whole axle hunting, welding, swapping, etc. to get something as stong as a D60 in an XJ.
yea thats what i was thinking
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I hate to say I would rather bust a U-joint instead of a shaft. On 2 seperate occsions I have busted inner side shafts. Once at Paragon, and Once at Tellico, both time it required totally disassembly of the front axle to get parts out of the housing. Believe me.. being that guy in the parking lot with an impact, and a Co2 tanks sucks *****. I can swap a U-joint on the side of the trail in less then 45 minutes. Also with the new superjoints, and other aftermarket joints available, the weak link in the axle becomes the ring gear or the shafts.

In my opinion you want a failure point that is easy to replace. Be it an axle u-joint or a driveshaft u-joint.

Also through my yrs of wheeling I have learned not to put stress on shafts if the wheels are turned hard.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM

Year: 1994

The D60 housing is still a LOT stronger than the D30 housing!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Shaft strength not housing strength......
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM

Year: 1994

What good is dropping a grand on shafts when the housing isn't any stronger?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by PingPong
I hate to say I would rather bust a U-joint instead of a shaft. On 2 seperate occsions I have busted inner side shafts. Once at Paragon, and Once at Tellico, both time it required totally disassembly of the front axle to get parts out of the housing. Believe me.. being that guy in the parking lot with an impact, and a Co2 tanks sucks *****. I can swap a U-joint on the side of the trail in less then 45 minutes. Also with the new superjoints, and other aftermarket joints available, the weak link in the axle becomes the ring gear or the shafts.

In my opinion you want a failure point that is easy to replace. Be it an axle u-joint or a driveshaft u-joint.

Also through my yrs of wheeling I have learned not to put stress on shafts if the wheels are turned hard.
i agree with you on this , but i also have to disagree for some of the guys that dont do enough hard core wheeling to break that shaft strength. I know my jeep i push it fairly hard and i havent broken anything in my dana 30 hp with the exception of a loos pinion erggg... but i could see using these shafts when i do my 8.8 swap because it would greatly improve the strength and confidence i have in my dana 30. just my .02 but if you dont bounce your jeep on rocks and just be aware of the position your in i know i wouldnt break these shafts and would keep me from doing full widths.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 AM

but again the price is too steep for me to do this just hypothetical
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by ahenderl
JP magazine did a write-up this past month. They supposedly make your D30 axles almost as strong as a D60. Also, the CV joint doesn't bind and unbind like a u-joint, making the transfer of power smoother to your front wheels. If the hype is true, my opinion is that they are worth it.

I have an idea...buy them and tell me how well they work.

yea JP Magazine was making these axles seem bullet proof. but they were smart for not including the sale price in there. with those prices that will turn any jeep guy off. and another thing these axles seem like a "install them and forget them" type deal. kinda takes away of the fun of replacing U-Joints when they break on the trail or wherever. if you ask me i like getting involved with my rig. if you are super lazy and hate doing U-Joints then yea go ahead and get them.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

Originally Posted by Copytech
What good is dropping a grand on shafts when the housing isn't any stronger?

X2
especialy when you can spend alot less money and instead of having someyhing almost as strong as a d-60 you could actualy have the real thing
Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Where did it say they were as strong as a dana 60. It's hard to justify for the price considering the super 30 kits are usually just a little more with a locker.

Quick Reply: are these axles really worth it ??