Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Testing Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Testing Fuel Pump

Hello,

I do not know where to put this, so Im putting it here. If its not in the right place please move.

Hello again,

I have a friends car, which is a 93 grand cherokee. It doesnt start. It has spark. I dont here the fuel pump come on, and there is no fuel pressure.

Im pretty sure its the fuel pump, but I want to test the wires for power current going to the fuel pump. It looks like i have to drop the whole fuel tank out to get to the pump.

Id rather do that as a last resort. I need to know the location of the power and negative wires that go to the fuel pump.

He got this car a few days ago, and its a real piece of junk so far. Rotted to hell. I wouldnt be surprised if this car/truck was pulled from the river. I did find a lot of white sand under the carpet and seats, so atleast it came from a nice beach. LOL

If anyone has a Helms, PDF file to share, or can tell me which wires are what for the fuel pump, much would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 AM
RCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well, if there is no fuel pressure, it sound like the pump is bad. However, have you check the fuses and also the ones under the hood? Those can get blown, particularly if wire/connections are corroded and cause significant resistance.

I don't know about ZJs but on the XJ's, you can just crawl underneath and look directly at the fore-facing side of the fuel tank and see the fuel pump and connector.