Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TC drop / SYE with 3'' lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default TC drop / SYE with 3'' lift

first off i'll yes i see the search in the top right corner...and ive used it too.

Id like to know for those of you guys that have a 3'' lift how many of yous needed to drop the TC or use a SYE?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

First it tends to be a crap shot. I have 3.5" and have a TC drop and no vibes. But I should considering my pinion angles say I should. Later this week I am redoing my rear springs and plan to removing the drop at that time. Will see what happens. My jeep came with the drop installed. I have heard of people needing a SYE with a 2"BB and others with 5" and needing niether one. Big advantage of the SYE is the fact that as you go higher you will need a longer driveshaft and the angles get so steep the Ujoints can bind-uo. A sye reduces this binding. So if you do a 3" lift and get vibes in the Driveline, try a TC drop. You can do it cheap like for $5 worth of stuff from Lowes. If that doesn't work or your DS is over extended do a SYE.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year do you have?97+ have low pinion axles and tend to need them more than 96-. I have a 96 with 3in lift and 2in spacers.I had to do a tc drop after the spacers.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 93gc40
First it tends to be a crap shot. I have 3.5" and have a TC drop and no vibes. But I should considering my pinion angles say I should. Later this week I am redoing my rear springs and plan to removing the drop at that time. Will see what happens. My jeep came with the drop installed. I have heard of people needing a SYE with a 2"BB and others with 5" and needing niether one. Big advantage of the SYE is the fact that as you go higher you will need a longer driveshaft and the angles get so steep the Ujoints can bind-uo. A sye reduces this binding. So if you do a 3" lift and get vibes in the Driveline, try a TC drop. You can do it cheap like for $5 worth of stuff from Lowes. If that doesn't work or your DS is over extended do a SYE.
ya i have a 00 xj that im eyeing the rubicon 2'' and since there on back order i was rethinking about what i want to do. 3'' is the most im ever looking at doing to this since its my dd. it seems droping the tc isnt hard to do but the sye seems $pricey$. im for doing things right thats why ive replaced my tre and my ball joints and the rest of the bushings look good. on the other hand i dont want to put a lot of money into for a $200 sye.

also what is 2"BB?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

budget boost. and t/c drops are cake to install. I've also heard in some cases that the t/c drop can actually cause damage to the tranny over time...but i haven't had a problem yet.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2.5TURBO
I've also heard in some cases that the t/c drop can actually cause damage to the tranny over time...but i haven't had a problem yet.

oh jeese ya and thats what im trying to avoid damaging more expencive parts due to the lift. I understand when modding anything will put a strain on other parts but id like to keep that down to a min. so ill most likely go with the 2'' rubicon left...if they ever get any instock its been on back order for more then a month.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Yeah it seem 2" Full length AAL springs are on backorder nationwide for most sellers and Manufactures.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I've got a 3" and just recently dropped the t case to prep for another 1.5" of lift. I never had any drive line vibes at all with the 3". My drop is just temporary until I have the money for a SYE kit.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0L

How does dropping the t-case cause trans problems? Cant picture that. Not saying it wont happen just seems kinda unlikely. you can get hack and tap sye for $100 bucks from rock jock (currie) ( i think thats where i saw them). And get a JY front driveline and have it lenghtend to use for the rear driveline after your sye install. Just bought a jy driveline for my sye for $40. Will cost about 50 to have it lengthened and plate put on the front to hook to the sye. Just food for thought.

Last edited by spittinimage; 05-04-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Yeah it seem 2" Full length AAL springs are on backorder nationwide for most sellers and Manufactures.
Ya shaun from rubicon said there waiting for the front coil insert
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

Originally Posted by spittinimage
How does dropping the t-case cause trans problems? Cant picture that. Not saying it wont happen just seems kinda unlikely. you can get hack and tap sye for $100 bucks from rock jock (currie) ( i think thats where i saw them). And get a JY front driveline and have it lenghtend to use for the rear driveline after your sye install. Just bought a jy driveline for my sye for $40. Will cost about 50 to have it lengthened and plate put on the front to hook to the sye. Just food for thought.
It changes the angle of the shifter cables and linkages. Over time it will where ovals instead of circles like stock.....causing said issues.

If the linkages aren't lined up when you shift it won't fully go into gear causing extra resistance and synchros to where out.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2.5TURBO
It changes the angle of the shifter cables and linkages. Over time it will where ovals instead of circles like stock.....causing said issues.

If the linkages aren't lined up when you shift it won't fully go into gear causing extra resistance and synchros to where out.

so if its automatic then it would be fine then?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine's a '99 and I had to put in a TC drop to get rid of vibes after putting in my Rusty's 3". the '97+ years typically do need a TC drop with anything more than 2" because Chrysler changed the pinion angles for the last few years of the XJ. Some guys have used axle shims but from what I've heard they're hit and miss on getting rid of the vibrations. A TC drop is VERY easy to do and I haven't heard of any tranny problems at all.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Mine's a '99 and I had to put in a TC drop to get rid of vibes after putting in my Rusty's 3". the '97+ years typically do need a TC drop with anything more than 2" because Chrysler changed the pinion angles for the last few years of the XJ. Some guys have used axle shims but from what I've heard they're hit and miss on getting rid of the vibrations. A TC drop is VERY easy to do and I haven't heard of any tranny problems at all.

cool thanx for your input and everyone elses too.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L high output

Originally Posted by spittinimage
I have not heard of tranny problems myself, however i have heard that TC drop will cause your motor mounts and tranny mounts to wear out faster because of the change from stock angle. whether thats true or not, dunno but thats just what ive heard.

also i have a three inch lift, no tc drop, no SYE, and no vibes at all. mines a 95 though

Quick Reply: TC drop / SYE with 3'' lift