Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sway Bar Mount Threaded Insert Gone?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I-6
Default Sway Bar Mount Threaded Insert Gone?!

I didn't see anything similar to this issue when I did a bit of a search around the forum, so figured I would ask here: Has anyone else had issues with the threaded inserts that the front sway bar brackets mount to? I pulled my sway bar off to replace my steering box, didn't notice any issues with removing the bolts. But, when I went to go reinstall the sway bar... the threaded insert for one of the holes was no longer present. I suspect it came dis-bonded and is now rattling around inside the unibody rail. I noticed that both sides of the unibody rails have an additional threaded insert not in use. I'm considering three options and would like to hear from those of you out there who may have some practical experience with this. Would a nutsert work for this? Or perhaps is that what these are, and I am mistaken entirely about these being bonded items?

Option 1: Somehow locate and install a replacement bonded insert or pressed nutsert. The old ones seem to be bonded in, but I'm not entirely sure how one would access them, as the nearby access holes are smaller than I believe the threaded insert to be.
Option 2: Locate an aftermarket sway bar mount that is longer and designed to utilize those additional threaded inserts, located a few inches further aft on the rail. Not sure if these exist or if the empty threaded inserts are rated to handle this.
Option 3: This one is probably my least favorite. Operate without it. I have never operated a modern vehicle without one, and am not certain if driving without it on the freeway would make me a hazard to myself and others
Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem. I took a Dremel and cut a small hole in the unibody big enough to get some needle nose in. I think I was able to use the old nut and held it in place with the pliers while I tightened it.