Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

swapping Power to Manual windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default swapping Power to Manual windows

So, i'm tired of replacing the crappy stock regulator in my 99XJ. The design is prone to failure eventually, and i'm not really into spending too much more $$$ on it. So, i want to swap out my front passenger power window and turn it into a manual one. Right now, my window is just clamped to the track by the window bracket, but i would like to be able to open it.....you know, eventually. So that where my idea comes in.

Since i want to keep the power locks and functional power windows to the rest of the car, i'm going to take of the handle with all of the electronics, and fasten it to a new window panel. The electronic part isn't what concerns me, but the actual manual window crank/mechanism is.

Basically, i'm hoping someone can take a pic of their 97+ XJ with manual windows (a 99 would be great!), so i can see what i'm working with. I'm not really concerned with how it looks, but more with functionality. Does anyone know if i can reuse the same window track that i currently have? Any pictures/comments/thoughts would be helpful.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Guitar Dude 33
So, I'm tired of replacing the crappy stock regulator in my 99XJ. The design is prone to failure eventually, and I'm not really into spending too much more $$$ on it.
In my opinion, for the time and money it is going to take to do that. You might as well just replace the regulators, With new ones. How many have you gone through already? Mine are twenty one years old and still work. Beside the possible resale value.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

1. The manual windows & panels are not common on the 97+ models (i.e. I have heard lots of people having trouble finding them from a JY).
2. There exists mods/updates that you can do to the stock window regulator to resolve many of the failure paths. I don't have any direct links, but I know that I have come across it in my web-lurking. I suggest some googling. IIRC, the resolution revolves around replacing some of the plastic pieces with some metal ones (that is all I am willing to commit to from memory).