Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swapped heater core and now no ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Swapped heater core and now no ignition

Hey guys,

Finally swapped my heater core and evap core today on my '98 XJ 4.0L. Was fun. Anyway, I pretty much have her buttoned up, but I get no action when I put the key in the ignition. From removing the dash I cannot recall anything I forgot to connect. I really didn't remove it though, I just swung it out of the way with the wheel/column dropped to get the heater box out.

My interior light comes on, but no buzzer/dash lights, radio, or anything else.

Anyone else run into this problem after fiddling with dash? Or have an ideas?

My jeep worked perfectly fine yesterday. I had the battery unhooked from about 8:30 this morning to 4:30ish.

Last edited by MrStratPants; 04-02-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Fuses good?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Lord, I am a big dummy. I just had to walk away for a minute and then double check again, for the 15th time.

I found I forgot to screw the big grey connecter thing to the right of the steering column back together.

All good now.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 PM

Year: 2000

Lol, if I had a dime for every time I made a stupid mistake like that I could pay someone else to make those mistakes for me
Old 04-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by MrStratPants
Lord, I am a big dummy. I just had to walk away for a minute and then double check again, for the 15th time.

I found I forgot to screw the big grey connecter thing to the right of the steering column back together.

All good now.

I've heard od double checking, triple checking, quadruple, sextuple, septuple, etc... had to look up what 15 would be...and you just quindecuple checked your XJ. Nice work! LOL
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by HEAP of JEEP
I've heard od double checking, triple checking, quadruple, sextuple, septuple, etc... had to look up what 15 would be...and you just quindecuple checked your XJ. Nice work! LOL

LOL.

Lord, guys I am exhausted. I knew it was gonna be a job, but geez I am pooped. Now I am in the heater core replacement club. What a fine group to be associated with. Would I do it again? Hopefully not, but if I had to yeah, probably.

Started yesterday night with my son and got the seat and some trim off, and started today at 9:30am. Just sat down inside at 8:30pm. I still haven't got my seat back in or the tools picked up. But I did get the system flushed and refilled. Now that everything in the cooling system is finally new, hopefully I can avoid any overheats this summer. If not, I guess I'll look at the head gasket, even though I don't have any symptoms that go along with it.

I have an AC liquid line to put on still, but I didn't get to it, so it is currently disconnected, any harm in leaving it with a bag zip tied to the open end until I get it replaced probably tomorrow?