Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swap to GC cv axles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6
Default Swap to GC cv axles?

I have searched several times trying To find the answer that I am pretty sure I know. My buddy has a 99 XJ just like mine with a hp30 in it but he has a u-joint that is ready to fall apart at the wheel. Would the cv axle setup like what came in the older grand Cherokee fit the thing until we can get them all replaced correctly? I have some ZJ axle shafts readily available so that he doesn’t have to do without his daily if he has to take the shafts to have the u-joints pressed in. We both have pretty busy weeks so I figure if they are interchangeable, we could throw them in there and let it ride for the week while he gets his sorted out and ready to go back in, maybe even give him time to get heavier axle shafts ordered if that is the way he wants to go

Thanks for your input
Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeepfreak82
I have searched several times trying To find the answer that I am pretty sure I know. My buddy has a 99 XJ just like mine with a hp30 in it but he has a u-joint that is ready to fall apart at the wheel. Would the cv axle setup like what came in the older grand Cherokee fit the thing until we can get them all replaced correctly? I have some ZJ axle shafts readily available so that he doesn’t have to do without his daily if he has to take the shafts to have the u-joints pressed in. We both have pretty busy weeks so I figure if they are interchangeable, we could throw them in there and let it ride for the week while he gets his sorted out and ready to go back in, maybe even give him time to get heavier axle shafts ordered if that is the way he wants to go

Thanks for your input
put the cv's in my last.2.Cherokees. they lasted longer than the jeep did. If you aren't hard core offloading. City driving and minimal woods trail riding.