Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Suspension help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Suspension help.

Alright guys, I need some help (not mental help, the other XJ kind). I have a few questions about my suspension in my '91 XJ.

1) Despite my alignment and tire balancing (which really did help), I still have some slight vibe going between 60-65 mph. At 70+ mph, its all good. My mechanic told me a couple months back that my pass. side coil spring needs replaced (it popped on day, he just told me it needs replaced). I was also told by another person to look at my ball joints. Any other ideas?

2) I want to eventually have ALL of my front end BRAND NEW. New crossmember, new coil springs, new struts, control arms, everything. Can someone possible come up with a list (and suggestions if present) on what all there is up front to replace?

3) How do I tell what front/rear axle I have?

Off topic: With the colder seasons arriving, I want to replace all fluids.

What would you recommend for:

- Front diff fluid?
- Rear diff fluid?
- Tranny fluid is still very pink and clean, added some Lucas tranny fix to it just to clean any sticky valves.
- winter oil? Currently running Mobil1 10w-30.
- Transfercase fluid?

THANKS A HUGE AMOUNT FOR THE HELP EVERYONE. Lord knows I need it lol.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Also, would it be cheaper to replace or rebuild the axles?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 AM
CF Veteran

Nobody knows?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Alright guys, I need some help (not mental help, the other XJ kind). I have a few questions about my suspension in my '91 XJ.

1) Despite my alignment and tire balancing (which really did help), I still have some slight vibe going between 60-65 mph. At 70+ mph, its all good. My mechanic told me a couple months back that my pass. side coil spring needs replaced (it popped on day, he just told me it needs replaced). I was also told by another person to look at my ball joints. Any other ideas?

2) I want to eventually have ALL of my front end BRAND NEW. New crossmember, new coil springs, new struts, control arms, everything. Can someone possible come up with a list (and suggestions if present) on what all there is up front to replace?

3) How do I tell what front/rear axle I have?

Off topic: With the colder seasons arriving, I want to replace all fluids.

What would you recommend for:

- Front diff fluid?
- Rear diff fluid?
- Tranny fluid is still very pink and clean, added some Lucas tranny fix to it just to clean any sticky valves.
- winter oil? Currently running Mobil1 10w-30.
- Transfer case fluid?

THANKS A HUGE AMOUNT FOR THE HELP EVERYONE. Lord knows I need it lol.

1. Well you might also want to check the universal joints on the front drive-shaft at the cardon joint. while your there also check the centering button. I had a wicked vibe at those speeds too and after I took off the front shaft it went away. I rebuilt the shaft with new u-joints and button and Shazam no more vibration!

2. Crossmember? Struts? The only serviceable parts on a Cherokee front end:
Brakes
Hubs
Axle U-joints
Ball Joints
Tie rod ends
Steering dampener
Idler arm
Control arm busings
and the arm that centers the axle in the frame. Having a brain fart here.

3. Your front axle is MOST likely to be a D30 unless someone has changed it previously. You MAY also have one of the last Vacuum disconnect D30s
Do you have the ABS braking system?
If you do you WILL have the D35 rear end. If not you MAY have the 27 spline 8.25 Chrysler rear.
Do a search on here for axle identification. Some have posted a picture with all the available differential covers.

Oils are gonna be mostly a personal choice. Everyone has an opinion on which is better. You can't really go wrong if you follow the owners manual for grades of fluids. Then it just comes down manufacturers. If you've got the coin buy the best you can. I have never heard of a complaint from Lucas, Amzoil and Royal Purple other then it's EXPENSIVE.
I used to run Penzoil or Quaker State but I can't seem to find them as much up here anymore.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

THANK YOU for this info. Much needed. As for the rear axle, I do not have ABS, and I found a chart with covers to look for. Thanks again man! Apprecaite it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Jamie57
1. Well you might also want to check the universal joints on the front drive-shaft at the cardon joint. while your there also check the centering button. I had a wicked vibe at those speeds too and after I took off the front shaft it went away. I rebuilt the shaft with new u-joints and button and Shazam no more vibration!

2. Crossmember? Struts? The only serviceable parts on a Cherokee front end:
Brakes
Hubs
Axle U-joints
Ball Joints
Tie rod ends
Steering dampener
Idler arm
Control arm busings
and the arm that centers the axle in the frame. Having a brain fart here.

3. Your front axle is MOST likely to be a D30 unless someone has changed it previously. You MAY also have one of the last Vacuum disconnect D30s
Do you have the ABS braking system?
If you do you WILL have the D35 rear end. If not you MAY have the 27 spline 8.25 Chrysler rear.
Do a search on here for axle identification. Some have posted a picture with all the available differential covers.

Oils are gonna be mostly a personal choice. Everyone has an opinion on which is better. You can't really go wrong if you follow the owners manual for grades of fluids. Then it just comes down manufacturers. If you've got the coin buy the best you can. I have never heard of a complaint from Lucas, Amzoil and Royal Purple other then it's EXPENSIVE.
I used to run Penzoil or Quaker State but I can't seem to find them as much up here anymore.

Track Bar
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Diesel
Track Bar

Thank you.
I will now nail that info down so it doesn't slip out with the next brain fart!