Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Suddenly, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Suddenly, no start.

Hello everyone,

I've searched through all of the no start threads I could find here, but I didn't see any with this particular symptom. Zero starting issues until I went to startsher up Sunday morning for some errands.

96 xj country, 4.0, 6cyl. Brand new battery, less than a month old.
Put the key in, dash lights, radio on, etc. Turn to start and nothing happens. Well, to be more specific, no sounds, and everything else shuts off. Radio goes dead, dash turns off.

Tearing my hair out. Any ideas?

Last edited by BennyClouds; 01-29-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Stupid submit button too close to my autocorrect.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

I had a recent no start issue. I turn the key on and get the lights, turn the key to start and nothing, even the lights go out. After to much searching I found the ground from the battery to the fender loose. It did not feel loose, but could have been the paint caused to not need to be very loose.

Your problem is slightly different, but the reason I mention this, is because you might find something has worked loose. Start at the battery and work your way through the starting system. Battery, Starter, relays, ect. Could result in a quick cheap fix, or at least you will eliminate some ground issues before start spending money.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Check your grounds, like jugalug said. Also verify that all your fuses are good.

After that, if it's stull not starting you can always pull the starter and take it down to Autozone (or whatever your local parts retailer is) and have them bench test it. If it bench tests fine, then you need to check your ignition switch.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

BennyClouds,

I have a 96 as well. The most common cause for the particular symptoms you mentioned is loose connections at the battery. Follow JugaLug's advice in terms of cleaning up and tightening and generally checking the connections.

As for tightening battery terminal clamps, don't tighten them so much that they break, but if you can move the clamps at all by hand they are too loose. If they are not sufficiently tight, they have a way of "popping" up when the high amperage load of the starter tries to go through them (due to the slightly cone shaped battery terminal). Which results in a near instant loss of all power in the vehicle (like you turn the key, and bam..., power gone).
Old 01-29-2018, 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the input, folks.

I did check the battery connections, pulled them off and cleaned and re-tightened them. Then I checked the one ground that comes right off the negative battery cable into the sheet metal of the fender, pulled that off and wire brushed the cable and attachment point (in case it was the paint or something).

Same issue persists.

I saw in another thread the grounds G100 is the one that I found and cleaned. It also had pictures of G101, G102, and G106, though I can't tell from the pictures where they're specifically located. Would any of these be likely to cause this issue?

I've had starters go bad before, just not on this vehicle, so I'm used to being able to diagnose that with the stereotypical "clicking" of the solenoid, or a very slow attempt at cranking even with a new/freshly charged battery. Would an XJ starter display these symptoms as well?

~b
Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BennyClouds
Thanks for all the input, folks.

I did check the battery connections, pulled them off and cleaned and re-tightened them. Then I checked the one ground that comes right off the negative battery cable into the sheet metal of the fender, pulled that off and wire brushed the cable and attachment point (in case it was the paint or something).

Same issue persists.

I saw in another thread the grounds G100 is the one that I found and cleaned. It also had pictures of G101, G102, and G106, though I can't tell from the pictures where they're specifically located. Would any of these be likely to cause this issue?

I've had starters go bad before, just not on this vehicle, so I'm used to being able to diagnose that with the stereotypical "clicking" of the solenoid, or a very slow attempt at cranking even with a new/freshly charged battery. Would an XJ starter display these symptoms as well?

~b
I feel like your issue is probably with the ignition switch. I'd pull the ignition switch and test it. For a quick test you can see if the starter is getting any power when you have the key turned to "start".

I also hadn't thought of it (since all my Jeep experience is with manuals) but a bad Neutral Safety switch could also cause a "no start" situation. If you shift it to neutral, does it start or exhibit the same problem?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
I feel like your issue is probably with the ignition switch. I'd pull the ignition switch and test it. For a quick test you can see if the starter is getting any power when you have the key turned to "start".

I also hadn't thought of it (since all my Jeep experience is with manuals) but a bad Neutral Safety switch could also cause a "no start" situation. If you shift it to neutral, does it start or exhibit the same problem?
I saw that suggestion in other threads, so I did try to start in neutral, and to jiggle the shifter a bit, but there's no difference between neutral and park.

~b
Old 01-29-2018, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

I'd test the ignition switch with a multi-meter and bench test the starter and see what's what. My money is on the ignition switch.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Neutral Safety switch problem does not typically kill all power in the cab when trying start (as mentioned by OP). Those types of symptoms normally go back to connections and/or ignition switch or power distribution center problems.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

For the OP's sake, I hope it's just a bad ignition switch rather than an issue with the PDC.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 PM

Having done neither on anything in the Jeep family, which is the bigger project, testing the starter or the ignition switch?
Any good writeups on pulling and testing either one? I've heard starters aren't too bad, but to be honest, getting into the steering column without having a clear plan of action scares the sht outta me.

Looks like I'll need to hit Harbor Freight for a multi-meter, I have no idea where my old digi is.
Hoping this cold doesn't last too long, I live in an apartment and thus will be doing this work outside. Ugh.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

The ignition switch on a 96 is a LOT easier than you expect. It's a single unit and it's a simple process - if you're capable of following directions, it's honestly not too bad.
You may need "security" torx bits (I did on my 00 TJ), so grab a set of those at HF while you're there. (They're the ones with a little hole at the center of the bit)
The video I attached seemed pretty good re: testing the starter, but you can pull it (it's just a couple bolts and wires/connectors and you can access it without jacking up the Jeep if you're not a big person.) and take it to Autozone (or wherever) and they can bench test it for free.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM

So, I'm home from work and researching how to do some of this stuff.
I'm looking up parts and processes and whatnot.

One thing I'm a little confused on, is when I look up ignition switches, I see that the part that comes up for my year is a module that looks like it accepts the lock cylinder, and has the little round green light that surrounds the lock.

But I found a thread where someone walked another noob through a switch replacement, and hers was way down the steering column, and was not attached to the lock cylinder save for a rod that ran from the cylinder where the key goes, and what they were calling the switch was a plastic & metal block that a wiring harness plugged into. I think the one in that thread was a 94.
Would that account for the difference in the "switch", or am I just not finding the correct part? I know hers did not have an airbag, and mine does.

If the weather is nice wednesday morning, I'm going to do the screwdriver test on the starter to see if it starts. That should be the end result if that is not the failed part, right? I jump the connection with the screwdriver while the key is ON, and the jeep is in park, and it should start? That would then eliminate the starter as a possibility.

~b
Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

The ignition switch was changed between 94 and 95. In a 94 it's the "down the column" one as you mentioned. On a 95 (such as mine) and later (such as yours) it is the modular style. You can remove the modular style very easily, it's just removing the trim panels, removing the key cylinder, actuator and then the switch.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Quick Reply: Suddenly, no start.