Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

stumbles in drive but not in rverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question stumbles in drive but not in rverse

I am a newbie here,i have a 95 xj 4.0 auto 6" lift with 31"s.just recently started having a bad stumble getting up to speed,replaced distributor due worn bushings had no effect.can brake torque and it cuts in and out i tried it in reverse and its completely fine,and in park revs up without stumble.any help would be great,need to be able to give christmas trail rides!thanks in advance for any input
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by mud-ed
I am a newbie here,i have a 95 xj 4.0 auto 6" lift with 31"s.just recently started having a bad stumble getting up to speed,replaced distributor due worn bushings had no effect.can brake torque and it cuts in and out i tried it in reverse and its completely fine,and in park revs up without stumble.any help would be great,need to be able to give christmas trail rides!thanks in advance for any input
There was a thread on here recently about another guy who had the same problem but only in reverse instead. He found out that loose bolts around the bell housing was causing the CPS to pull away from the timing mark on the flywheel / flexplate

Just a thought
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0
Talking stumble problem resolved!

well thanks to this forum and all the information contained within and all of the knowledgeable members,my jeep is healed.went thru numerous cks.sensors,grounds then checked my bellhousing bolts,or where they should have been.there were only 2 left!wow this could have been a real disaster especially since this driveline is going in my new xj project.replaced all missing bolts running smooth again just in time for winter to show up and freeze all the mud!#$%%!thanks people