Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

strange slave cyl. problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default strange slave cyl. problem

Hi. My name is Jesse. I'm new to the cherokee forum. I bought a 1993 cherokee 4.0l 4wd 5speed about 3 months ago. I found out a while after I bought it that the slave cyl. was leaking when I bought it. So I tore it down and put a new cyl. in it (internal cyl.). Got it all put back together, bleed real easy, took of in it. It seemed great at first. Clutch hadnt worked that well the whole time I owned it. Then it started to act funny. Like I had no fluid, but then I'd let off and hit it again and it was fine. Then (right in the middle of some sticky @$$ mud) all of a sudden, the pedal hit the floor. No pressure at all. Checked the level in the master and it was completely empty. Looked underneath and there was fluid running out of the bellhousing. I just got it torn back down today and I want to check every possibility before I put it back together and have the same problem. The instructions say to pull one of the lines out of the slave and fill it with fluid to ease bleeding, so I thought I could have twisted the oring in there, but it looks dry. Anyone had any similar problems? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. This is SUPPOSED to be my DD. Yes.... I've been walking to work for a month. lol
Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I got to thinking. My transfer case has yellow crayon like its from a junkyard. Could I have a different trans that requires a different slave cyl.? Where would a casting number be on the manual trans so I can find out?