Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange Problem Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Strange Problem Computer?

Okay, I'm having an odd problem with my 97xj. I get the common 0700 0705 Code, I've changed the NSS switch and I've tuned it and everything works back up lights and all that. Now here is the puzzle. While I have a CEL my TC will not engage. I can clear the CEL and turn the truck on and drive and everything works fine. TC engages everything shifts perfectly and there are no problems. I turn the truck off and turn it back on and I'll get the CEL again and I'll have the lock up issue. I can then pull over clear the code and everything will work perfect again. So as long as my code is cleared the truck works perfectly. I'll continue to have the TC lock up issue until I clear the CEL every single time. I don't get it. Is the computer causing the problem? Is there a short somewhere? I'm stumped. Help!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by FWRS
Okay, I'm having an odd problem with my 97xj. I get the common 0700 0705 Code, I've changed the NSS switch and I've tuned it and everything works back up lights and all that. Now here is the puzzle. While I have a CEL my TC will not engage. I can clear the CEL and turn the truck on and drive and everything works fine. TC engages everything shifts perfectly and there are no problems. I turn the truck off and turn it back on and I'll get the CEL again and I'll have the lock up issue. I can then pull over clear the code and everything will work perfect again. So as long as my code is cleared the truck works perfectly. I'll continue to have the TC lock up issue until I clear the CEL every single time. I don't get it. Is the computer causing the problem? Is there a short somewhere? I'm stumped. Help!

If anything, it's the TCM causing the problem, not the PCM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
If anything, it's the TCM causing the problem, not the PCM.
That is located under the glove box on the 97's right? Is there a test I could run to see if it's malfunctioning?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

That is located under the glove box on the 97's right? Is there a test I could run to see if it's malfunctioning?
The TCM is a small metal box located under the dash to the right of the steering column, between the gas pedal linkage and the driver's AC/Heat floor outlet

You'll need to remove the steering column opening cover (below the column) and the knee blocker under it. You can actually see it without removing these panels however.

P705 is a problem with No Transmission Range Sensor (NSS) signals are received or two conflicting signals are received from the Transmission Range Sensor at the same time by the TCM.

Try clearing the CEL and do the manual shifting test.

This test determines if there is a mechnical or electrical problem.

1. Pull the TCM fuse in the Junction Block (passenger footwell fuse panel). Fuse 10 is a 15 amp fuse, fith fuse position up from the bottom on the forward (your left) row of fuses,

2. Road test vehicle. Shift transmission into each gear range. Transmission should operate as follows:

lock in park
back up in reverse
not move in neutral
provide 1st gear only with shift lever in 1-2 position
operate in third gear only with shift lever in 3 position
operate in overdrive 4th gear in D position.

3. If the transmision operates as described proceed to next step.

4. Manually downshift transmision from D to 3, and from 3 to 1-2 position.

If these tests show the transmission operates as described there is no mechanical problem, but that there may be an electrcal problem

If the P0705 CEL comes back on at any time during the test you will need someone with a DRB III scan tool to dig into the system and see what's causing the problem. There are five pages of diagnostic test procedures for P0705. All using the DRB III scan tool.

You could try a TCM from the junk yard and see if that fixes it. '97 TCM part number 56027951. Ealier or later years won't work.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM

The TCM is a small metal box located under the dash to the right of the steering column, between the gas pedal linkage and the driver's AC/Heat floor outlet

You'll need to remove the steering column opening cover (below the column) and the knee blocker under it. You can actually see it without removing these panels however.

P705 is a problem with No Transmission Range Sensor (NSS) signals are received or two conflicting signals are received from the Transmission Range Sensor at the same time by the TCM.

1. Pull the TCM fuse in the Junction Block (passenger footwell fuse panel). Fuse 10 is a 15 amp fuse, fith fuse position up from the bottom on the forward (your left) row of fuses,

2. Road test vehicle. Shift transmission into each gear range. Transmission should operate as follows:

lock in park
back up in reverse
not move in neutral

If these tests show the transmission operates as described there is no mechanical problem, but that there may be an electrcal problem

If the P0705 CEL comes back on at any time during the test you will need someone with a DRB III scan tool to dig into the system and see what's causing the problem. There are five pages of diagnostic test procedures for P0705. All using the DRB III scan tool.

You could try a TCM from the junk yard and see if that fixes it. '97 TCM part number 56027951. Ealier or later years won't work.
Thanks man, I will try that today.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM

lock in park
back up in reverse
not move in neutral

okay, this is strange. There was no fuse in slot 10.
Could this have been bypassed as somepoint?
I stuck a new fuse in there just to see if by chance it would alleviate the problem but it just came back.
I feel like this might be one of those hassles.

Any other suggestions? Anything will help.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

okay, this is strange. There was no fuse in slot 10.
Could this have been bypassed as somepoint?
I stuck a new fuse in there just to see if by chance it would alleviate the problem but it just came back.
I feel like this might be one of those hassles.

Any other suggestions? Anything will help.
Thanks in advance!
I have been know to step on my Crank shaft position sensor before.

The '97 TCM & TRS (NSS) is powered from fuse 11 in the JB (next one down from the missing #10). Try it.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

not to thread jack but i would be very interested if someone can provide the T/S for the p705/700 codes. my jeep has a similar issue. occasionally the t/c stays locked in until i hit the break pedal, and i have the nss codes but everything is functioning properly and new nss. been this way for 2yrs.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM

I have been know to step on my Crank shaft position sensor before.

The '97 TCM & TRS (NSS) is powered from fuse 11 in the JB (next one down from the missing #10). Try it.
The Truck I don't think will start to do the test if I pull the 11 fuse.
I'll give it a whirl

Last edited by FWRS; 06-04-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

The Truck I don't think will start to do the test if I pull the 11 fuse.
I'll give it a whirl
You're right, fuse 11 would kill the ASD and other circuits.

The other power feed to the TCM is fuse 16 in the PDC, which is the IOD. You'd lose your instrument cluster if you pulled that.

The final option is to disconnect the TCM.