Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

strange misfire going on

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL-6
Unhappy strange misfire going on

Alright So I have an 01 XJ and it seems to have a problem if I let it heat up and then shut it off and restart it.

Like, I'll go to the store and it heats up to 210. I shut it off, go into the store and about 10 minutes later I'll come out and start it up. About 80% of the time it will start extremely rough usually making me pump the gas a little just to get it up and when it does start it feels like it is misfiring pretty bad. But as I drive it it gradually comes back to normal.

I am aware of the recall for these and I called a dealership and they said that they fixed the injector in 2002. I've only owned the car for a year. I'm confused, I recently changed spark plugs so, that's not the problem.

Also, it has never thrown a code for it but I know for sure something isn't right when it happens.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do a search for HEAT SOAK
Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996 & 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I would try running some good gas treatment like chemtool B-12 it take 3 tanks to clean injectors - possible pick up some water.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM

That is weird... My '01 has been doing the same exact thing. Usually when I restart it, I just let it idle for about 5 or 10 seconds and it goes away. I made the mistake of tapping the gas one time to see what would happen and it threw a misfire code on cylinder #3. I too just replaced my plugs, so I think I'm going to pull them back out, inspect and re-gap them and see if that helps. I need to start researching about heat soak. I really don't think that the header sitting there boiling the intake manifold is really helping the issue. I would like to buy an aftermarket header and wrap it to see if that helps.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L IL-6

Originally Posted by msedly
That is weird... My '01 has been doing the same exact thing. Usually when I restart it, I just let it idle for about 5 or 10 seconds and it goes away. I made the mistake of tapping the gas one time to see what would happen and it threw a misfire code on cylinder #3. I too just replaced my plugs, so I think I'm going to pull them back out, inspect and re-gap them and see if that helps. I need to start researching about heat soak. I really don't think that the header sitting there boiling the intake manifold is really helping the issue. I would like to buy an aftermarket header and wrap it to see if that helps.
I just ended up going to the dealer and buying the 5.75 heat shield for the injector and put it on, maybe it will work.