Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

strange but curious lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip
Default strange but curious lights issue

so i have a 94 jeep Cherokee country and it has that stupid headlights stay on when you turn off the car for 10 seconds thing. well i installed HID headlights today and then when i turn the car off it does the same thing, but after 10 seconds they flicker off rapidly then i get this annoying buzzing sound from the headlight delay module. it goes away when the headlights are turned on but comes back when you turn them off. it goes completely away if you unplug the HID's. any clues? i just unplugged the stupid thing cause i never liked it anyway, just curious as to y it does this
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

If the module is or has a relay, maybe the contacts are pitted. The extra load of the HID's are causing the contacts to arc when they open or close. How many amps or watts do the HID's draw versus regular headlights? If it's not listed you could use some simple ohms law and a VOM (resistance of the lamp x volts [12v]) = current draw.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

just go to eautoworks.com and get an hd headlight harness, the power gets drawn from the battery, not the factory plug. i have it on my 97 for about a year now and i have no issues with them so far. here is a link to the hd harness http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eA...com-189849.htm
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

I noticed on my Cherokee, if I turn off the headlights before shutting off the car, then they immediately turn off and don't wait. It was a habit that I had to force myself to get it. Also, if you forget before turning off the car, switch the lights off, then switch the key to ACC and back and they should turn off.