Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stranded!! Power steering pump pulley broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stranded!! Power steering pump pulley broke

Hi all. I'm outside of Fort Worth Texas right now at a Motel 6. I'm trying to make my way to Alabama but the forces are conspiring against me.

I have a 99 XJ 4.0 4d with 148k miles on it. I've had it for three years with no complaints. All I've had to do in three years is replace the o2 sensors. It has always run like a dream. That is, until now. I'm moving from CA to AL with a small 4x8 u haul trailer on my hitch.

My problems started in El Paso: In El Paso my a/c compressor seized up and burnt/threw off my serpentine belt. Given the limping of my car and time crunch I didn't have much of a way to shop around, so I hobbled into a Pep Boys just off the highway. They diagnosed the situation above, I confirmed that the compressor was seized up and they did the following:

New compressor and clutch
Flush and add new refrigerant
New receiver drier/accumulator
New fixed orifice tube
New coolant hose
New serpentine belt

Then outside of Abilene Texas (about 6 hours down the road) I got a check engine light and some misfires when in gear with the gas pedal 1/4 depressed. Stopped at another Pep Boys and the code came back w/ a faulty throttle position sensor so I got that replaced and the throttle body cleaned.

Now I'm outside of Dallas and my Jeep starts shaking violently, so I pull off, notice the (brand new) serpentine belt is off track again and get a tow to what is now my third Pep Boys in Texas. Turns out my power steering pump pulley broke the f*** in half.

My question is--is the PS pulley breaking likely a result of a shoddy job when they installed the compressor and new serpentine belt back in El Paso? Or is it more likely a result of stress put on it before my old compressor seized? After shelling out a grand to Pep Boys, I still haven't been able to make it out of Texas. I need to be in Alabama by tomorrow and I'd like to avoid shelling out another $350. The Pep Boys here is telling me that it's not covered by the warranty for the work done in El Paso because it has an independent cause. I'm not so sure, but I'm no expert.

Any help would be so damn appreciated. Willing to send pecan brittle to anyone who can help.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Probably never know what caused it.

Can't they get a replacement pulley?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Although I would consider Pep Boys to be the absolute worst place to go for repairs it's hard to imagine what they could have done to break the power steering pump pulley. Then again they are so incompetent that if there was a way to do it they would probably be the ones to make it happen. (Don't take my word for it, do a web search for "Pep Boys sucks" or similar search terms.)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Yea they can. Unfortunately I got there an hour before close and somehow they didn't have the pulley in stock. I picked up the piece from autozone and am bringing it in to them tomorrow morning. So it's not something that's easily attributable to a poor belt installation 48 hours prior?

Another question--the quote they gave me didn't include a flush of the power steering fluid. Is that something i should have them do just in case?

Thanks again
Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Can't see why it would be needed. Pump was/is fine.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 PM

THanks. I guess I'm just worried about something else happening on the road. I've got another 700 or so miles to go, and I'm worried that it's either an issue in the pump or a problem with another component of the belt system.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Got to wondering. Not sure but I believe they'll have to pull the pump to change the pulley. So changing the fluid might be done anyways.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Did you turn the steering pump by hand to feel for smoothness and bearing noise? If it is grinding and binding up, it would put stress on the pulley. Suspect every component in the belt drive path. For all the trouble it is to change the pulley, I would change the pump assembly too - but I would not have Pep boys do it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4banger

updates please tell us when you get there safe
Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

The PS pulley is plastic so it may have just been age, or it might have stress cracked when the AC compressor seized. Hard to know for sure

The pulley itself is easy to change but you MUST use a proper power steering pulley installer/removal tool to do the job. Autozone rents them for "free". Definitely check the pump to make sure the bearing isn't shot and the pump is turning easily.

Bummer, sounds like some crap luck to me (been there before)