Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stock suspension issues

New to XJ's . Helping my boys fix their first vehicle. While taking jeep for a ride on highway I noticed the jeep swaying and sort of a body roll. Without spending a boat load of $$$ what can I look to replace to improve ride? Will just bushings improve ride ? I want to keep everything stock .
Any idea where to start and look to replace? I know front shocks are leaking but I can't see this as the problem?
2000 cherokee sport 179,000 miles w/ 4.0
Old 02-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sadly at the mileage you are at most of the suspension is shot or near the end of its life. If you do the labor yourself it will be reasonable if the QUALITY parts are purchased ahead of time. The price is quite different at discount houses like Rock auto. Not everythig needs to be done right away but an aged Cherokee will NOT ever ride like a new modern car. It never drove like a car to begin with. Its a JEEP!
Start with a competent inspection at a reputable shop. They will tell you what is needed immediately and what will be saveable.
You said the shocks are leaking, Well that is a problem. Front bushings, $10x4, shocks $60x4, Front springs $75, swaybar bushings $30 this is a good start. It will make a huge difference! These are about what Rock Auto wants. No labor with these #s. It does not include any steering parts. It will probably need some. DO NOT buy cheap parts as the will not last.
Whats a boat load of cash to you? Can you do the repairs yourself? Will they be helping? How safe should this vehicle be for your kids?

Ron

Last edited by may pop; 02-13-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Ron, thanks for input
I went to order stabilizer bar bushings (Moog) and how can I tell exact size of sway bar ? I guess they made different ones ? Will vin # help?
Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Put an adjustable wrench on the bar and tighten the jaws. Measure the opening. 25mm=1 inch.

Ron
Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm headed to JCity in the next hour.
I can meet you and give you a nearly new set of upper and lower control arms but you'll need to contact me asap.

jeepmurphy@gmail.com
Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Anti sway bar only functions in turns to limit body roll, just along for the ride when driving straight.
First post was right, it's time to replace everything in the front suspension.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Leaking shocks are a problem. Leaking shocks are done and not working for you.
Bushings are nice to do, but can last longer than 179Kmiles, I'd keep them on the to do list, but not at the top.
Measure your toe, set at 1/16" toe in.
Get new shocks, perhaps even a steering damper if it's original. Even cheap shocks are better that leaking shocks.
Check your ball joints, tie rods, track bar, next. Replace if loose, this is necessary maintenance. If tight, that's good. Run em.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

check your ball joints--grab the top of the front tires and pull on them see if you have play
Old 02-14-2016, 03:52 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 02809bristol
New to XJ's . Helping my boys fix their first vehicle. While taking jeep for a ride on highway I noticed the jeep swaying and sort of a body roll.
My 1999 with 157K acquired in October was exactly the same, with the added kicker of having 3 different types of almost bald tires. (I wanted new tires anyway.)

New set of tires and new steering stabilizer, slight but noticeable improvement in ride.

For me, the rear leaf springs were shot and the rear end was sagging. I had new stock leaf springs and all four shocks done. Front coils are still original.

The ride with new leafs and four shocks is MUCH better, feeling as close to "new jeep" as I can remember. These changes eliminated all of the body roll for me. Rides great and corners well now.

I regret not going with the heavy duty stock leaf springs, but no regrets about spending the money on the leafs. Worth every penny I didn't really want/plan to spend. I farmed that job out for a couple of reasons, but it would be fairly inexpensive if you do the labor.

I also replaced the tie rod, tie rod ends, track bar, drag link, and stabilizer ends and bushings. That was done after the leafs, and did not really make a noticeable difference in the ride. Adjusting the toe-in solved about 90% of the steering wander.

With what I know now, if I were ever to want a lift I'd get a new leaf spring pack rather than other approaches(add a leaf or junk yard raid). It would be worth the extra coin to me.

Good luck