Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

still running hot in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default still running hot in traffic

hey guys I could use some help. I bought a 95 xj about 2 months ago. nice rig well kept only had 130,000. it didn't need alot. I replaced manifold and valve cover and pvc valve, heater valve. I had dummy guages so I swapped them and all the sensors. I thought it was running warm so I changed the t-stat. didn't help. I read the post and checked the clutch fan, it seemed like that might be it. I decided to go all electric. I bought the triple threat kit. nice kit puts out a lot of air. and you can adjust when fans come on. Anyways, still was running around 240 so checked water pump it was working. flushed system and it got worse. So i put in a new radiator and while it was out I put in a new water pump. didn't work. ran with out a tstat for a couple of weeks and it was fine, but when running down freeway I didn't have heat. so I went with a 160 tstat. now it is fine around town or on the freeway. and I even let it sit at my house and idle for about an hour and it barely went past 210. but on friday I was stuck in traffic for about 2 hours and it was about 85 outside, with the a/c on it was over 240 almost redlined.. I shut off the a/c and it dropped some but was still over 210. so I am stuck on stupid man I can't figure it out