Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Still Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Still Need Help

my jeep won't stay running... it start when i turn the key and stays running when i hold the key but as soon as i let off it dies.... trust me i've already changed the switch... and i've tried a few other ideas like ballast resistor and i attempted to hot wire the started would turn but it wouldn't engage??(i'm not trying to hot wire i'd rather just fix the problem)... anyways i have a test light and am willing to try about anything ... thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I bet if you didn't post the same thing 5 times people wouldn't think your a newb and would be more likely to help you out. But anyway, more info is necessary to actually figure out some possibilities. Make, Model, Year, Engine, Miles, Any Mods done, Previous problems, etc. If I were you, I would change the ignition lock cylinder. Could just be worn and unable to stay in the "run" position.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM

yeah the other five posts are five pages back and i didn't get anywhere with the advice.. also i i apriciate the advice on posting and will quit trying ... BUT my heep is sitting in my drive way and its a long walk to work ... as stated in posting 1 through 5 i removed the arm from the lock cylinder and tried to manualy start it and physicaly put it in the run position... it still is cutting power as soon as it switches from start to run... so now that i know how to post .... i hope i can figure out how to get my heep running

Last edited by davirbaked; 01-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 PM

also if you click on the grey bar that says 1990 cherokee under my information it gives a brief description of my rig and mods...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

I mean like mods having to do with electrical stuff, because I know the lift won't keep it from starting, haha. Like if you've changed the starter, alternator, radio, headlight switch, relays, that kinda stuff. So are you saying that you're holding the key in the position where the starter engages? But after it starts, it disengages and only runs if you still hold the key? Also, instead of making a new thread, you can just add a reply to the current thread and it will bring it ot the top of the first page. My buddies and I once lost the key to a beater Cherokee. We smashed the column apart with an axe so we could use a screwdriver to start it up. Now I'm not recommending smashing your column apart with an axe, but maybe if you can get it apart gently, you can use a screwdriver temporarily, but remember after it starts, you need to manually turn the "key" backwards or the starter will be engaged the whole time. I'm still thinking it's a faulty lock cylinder, though.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1985
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor

Originally Posted by davirbaked
also if you click on the grey bar that says 1990 cherokee under my information it gives a brief description of my rig and mods...
So you want help getting your jeep fixed, but you want us to research your info to help? I wish you luck
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM

yeah gotcha i dropped the steering column i removed the arm that goes from the lock cylinder to the switch and switched it with a screw driver just like the rod would do... as soon as i let off the start position (spring loaded back to run) it dies...

if it help i have an after market stereo a cb two sets of lights and they have all been in over a year and never given problems

i've also recently replaced the cps i also bought a new ignition switch a ballast resistor (as recomended) also new and ran with no issue until now obviously was the distributor and the starter...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 PM

no you don't have to reply if you don't want .. i was just hoping there was a simple answer.... or maybe someone experienced this befor.... wishful thinking i guess...

wow its a tough crowd around here....

you guys are going to scare me off the to wallet raping mechanic
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Hmm, did this problem just come outta nowhere? Not following on how the distributor and starter would cause this.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

It's 11:11, you know what they say, make a wish. Maybe your Jeep will run on hopes and dreams

Edit: It was 11:11 when I posted, but must've been 11:12 when I hit send. You'll have to wait for the next 11:11, haha.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM

i don't think they would the were just recent replacements... and yeah it wouldn't start the other day and i turned it over 10.. 20.. 100 times (can't remember..) and it eventualy started and ran till i turned it off again
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM

no it runs on my kids lunch money and my insurance payment
Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Well anytime I search for an answer, this website always pops up. http://autorepair.about.com/ People email this guy and he posts answers. Not sure if it costs money, but it is usually pretty accurate from my experience when I was searching for help.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

So I'm still not clear.....jeep was working fine and then one day won't start, or was working fine and you changed the dist and or starter and now you have a problem?? From the description it sounds as though you have lost a 12v feed to the ignition circuits, possibly a fusible link?????
I am not too familar with the renix models... but aren't all of the fuse links at the starter relay on the pass inner fender? Also I am not sure if this applies, but in some older fords and chryslers that i have had a failing pick-up coil in the distributer would exibit symptoms like that....... good luck
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM

yeah nice... theres a bunch of fuseable links coming off that relay... i will do some test lighting