Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sticky rear brakes or axle wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Sticky rear brakes or axle wrap?

When I come to a stop, especially a quick one, there's a small amount of shudder coming from the rear. Then when I take off again, there's a jolt like something is coming unstuck. Doesn't seem to always coincide with exactly when I release the brakes, though. More like when it starts rolling, but sometimes it even comes slightly after rolling begins. Opinions on whether this is brakes, axle wrap (not sure I know exactly what that is), or neither?

I'm all stock, original springs and shocks and probably brakes too for that matter
Old 07-23-2011, 03:41 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Hello, I have exactly the same symptoms on my 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0.

It's been happening for a long time, and I have had the following inspected:
Transmission + transfer case (by Tacoma Transmissions.)
Rear brakes, replaced pads + spring tensioner.
Rear wheel bearings - no issues.
Read diff housing and all looks clean with no metal flakes or missing teeth.

Not checked any electrical sensors yet.
Not checked the Universal Joints at each end of the drive shaft yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Sport1998; 07-25-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the rear brake adjustment and look for leaky axle seals or wheel cylinders.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L High Output

My first guess would be a worn U-Joint somewhere.

One thing I have learned over the course of my three XJ's is to start small and simple with assessing a culprit, THEN begin to blame the major components; those very rarely fail or go bad. I would crawl underneath and give things a good shaking down and go from there.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

slip yoke needing cleaned and lubricated?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Thanks DeadCell & excess, I have just read the informative thread by 'sanchezcruz_20' (page 17 & 18) where he installs a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) into his TC. The TC will be investigated as I have a related symptom of the speedo jumping from 60 to 70 without a noticable increase in speed. (The speed sensor being in the TC.)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excess is right on. Pull your rear driveshaft and grease the snot out of the splines. It is an easy fix and essentially free. My '98 felt like I had a bowling ball in the back every time I stopped and started. A little grease, and it's all better...

Greg
Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Year: 93'
Engine: I6

while you are checking the seal's and cylinders also look if the shoes are ok & no broken or stretched springs.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Hello, I have exactly the same symptoms on my 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0.
Rear brakes, replaced pads and one caliper.
Thanks.
My '98 has rear brake drums and shoes ! Not too many people fork over + - $500.00 for the conversion kit to calipers with pads in the rear ! Maybe you did.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM

My mistake Webb! I still have drum brakes at the rear. I looked underneath just now at the local shop. The transfer case is clean with no leak evidence on the outside. I asked them to drop the DS and greese the slip yoke splines as suggested.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Sport1998; 07-25-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM

Bad news is that the TC Slip Yoke splines / teeth are all there and full with greese. The mechanic put some more greese in there but it looked healthy. I discussed with the mechanic what the next step would be and the Jeep is now at a transmission shop to check the syncro-mesh in first gear.
If it turns out ok, I think I have to try another shop who knows the Cherokee better. If anyone has suggestions for an expert on the East side of Seattle (Kirkland) I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry it wasn't the easy fix...

How are your u-joints? I assume they checked them when they greased the slip yoke?

Do your rear leafs still have the bands on them? If they have rusted and broken they can allow axle wrap. New leaf clamps can usually fix that.

Good luck!

Greg
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM

@ShowMe - my leaf clamps are in good condition thanks for making me check. The U-joints are ok; not new but good enough.

Update: The shop flushed and renewed the gearbox oil and I have driven it about 30 miles since I got it back. There is no sign of the 'jump' from standstill or when coming to a halt. The truck also feels smoother. Early days yet so I will update this thread if the 'jump' symptoms return.
Thank you everyone.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Sport1998 _

Thanks for letting us know about your progress with this problem.

I had the exact problem on my Sport '98, and found that a rear leaking wheel cylinder had saturated the brake shoes on one side with brake fluid. After correcting the faulty wheel cylinder the problem disappeared.

Now, 6 months later the problem has returned. I will again be going every thing in the rear of the vehicle looking for what measures I need to take. The problem is most annoying at every stop light.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
When I come to a stop, especially a quick one, there's a small amount of shudder coming from the rear. Then when I take off again, there's a jolt like something is coming unstuck. Doesn't seem to always coincide with exactly when I release the brakes, though. More like when it starts rolling, but sometimes it even comes slightly after rolling begins. Opinions on whether this is brakes, axle wrap (not sure I know exactly what that is), or neither?

I'm all stock, original springs and shocks and probably brakes too for that matter
I'm not sure what year Jeeps went from fluid in the slip yoke to the sealed tail shaft (if you've ever dropped your drive shaft you'll know which one it is).

If it's the dry type, try a generous coat of anti-seize. Mine was doing the same thing when I got it. A most satisfying and easy fix.

Just a thought

****edit****

Disregard

Don't know why I didn't see that a bunch of people replied already. As the church lady says......never mind.

Last edited by bobvalli; 08-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Sticky rear brakes or axle wrap?