Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering wheel and seat shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Steering wheel and seat shimmy

So I put new calipers, rotors and pads on the front last night. Brakes stop great now, but now I am noticing a shimmy in the steering wheel and a vibration in the seat at highway speeds from 55-65mph. There is no shimmy while breaking however. I did not have this problem prior to doing this work. Could I have got a bad new rotor? If so would I not feel a vibration while breaking? They are all Autozone Duralast parts. I am pretty sure I have the correct rotor becuase I purchased both the cast and the composite replacement to see which one fit properly since I am in the split year where they used both. Also I notice my lug nuts and wheel are pretty hot after driving for a while. Help please!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Since no one else has replied, I'm gonna chime in and say it sounds like an out of balance tire.

Brakes will normally be too hot to touch after driving, its when they have smoke rolling off of them (or paint burning off wheels / melted hubcaps, etc) that you have a problem. You would usually feel that in a pull to one side while driving or light braking.

HTH

Dan