Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

steering vibrations! Front axle u-joint?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4lt
Default steering vibrations! Front axle u-joint?

Hi everyone,

I know there are lot of threads on steering vibrations but I would like to ask advice on my problem specifically.

I have a 98 XJ (250,000km) and I'm getting vibrations at around 50-60Mph. Its a slight shake of the steering wheel under acceleration and under braking.

I've had the tires balances and the front end aligned. I had a shop look over the steering and they found nothing. I had a good look myself today as while coming down a large hill I was getting a grinding sound from the front end, it would disappear under braking. I found that the front axle u-joint had movement on the right side.

Could a bad front axle u joint cause vibrations in the steering? I've ordered new u joints but what else could I check?

One thing I did notice is that I could rotate the front drive shaft about 1/2 inch (while in 2wd), is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Yes, the u-joints will cause vibrations in steering. If you found one with play that is likely your culprit. Should also check your hub bearings for play while your in there. Yes, your front driveshaft will rotate a bit in 2WD, that's normal.

Greg