Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Stabilizer Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Steering Stabilizer Question

Hey guys, i just installed a RC 3" series II lift on my xj, and i'm new to the whole offroading and lifted vehicle world, so the first time i drove it after the kit was installed there was a ton more play in the steering wheel and just how it drives overall (i know this is obvious, but its still my first time driving a lifted vehicle) so anyways i was wondering if this happens to everyone who lifts their vehicles and it is to be expected, and also if there is any way to change it all. for whatever reason, when i bought the kit, i decided against a steering stabilizer, and from the name of it it makes it sound like it would help, but i've done some research and it sounds more like it just is a shock absorber? like it helps when you hit a rock the wrong way and the steering wheel turns real quick? Anyways, any help or advice on the question would be cool, sorry to sound like such a newb, but i guess i gotta start somewhere haha.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

An easy way to test is to unbolt 1 end & check to see if it is hard to push in or pull out. It should be hard both ways. If it is bad, replace it or you will experience a death wobble sooner or later. My stabilizer looked just fine, no leaks at all but it had no pressure at all. After replacing it my steering was a whole lot better. Believe me, death wobble will scare the #@%$ out of you when it happens, feels like everything is going to fall apart. If the stabilzer has pressure check all of your other steering components, ie: ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Don't forget to grease everything often.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

It is normal to feel extra play in the steering after lifting - At least it happened to me. I put on an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer and it took care of some of it, but what made the most difference was a solid alignment. Not sure if you have done that yet, but I would start there.

Either way, a steering stabilizer is a pretty cheap mod and might help you out. God knows the stock one that is on there is probably worn out and useless by now!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Have the front end aligned, you will be amazed. Steering stabilizers do not fix problems, they only mask the real problem.