Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering knuckle backed out. Went to fix it and now the ignition is stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering knuckle backed out. Went to fix it and now the ignition is stuck on

I have a 1988 Jeep comanche and I went to tighten up the four screws around the steering knuckle because the have backed there self's out and followed this video.

[URL="http://youtu.be/DqGNc7gE3uo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGNc7gE3uo[/URL]
I tightened up the screws and some how when I was putting everything on and trying to light the tumbler cam with the gear on the right I did something and now the right turn signal is on and the car. I dont know if it is in acc. mode or what. Al I can urn the cam all the way to the start position and the truck wont start. Im really confused now and dont know what I did or how to get it off.

Here are some pictures to help.

Oh and this also fell out when I was taking it all off and I dont know how it came out. I know It is part of the key buzzer I believe.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  75.6 KB

How does this go in??

and does everything look right in these pictures?

Name:  006-1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  57.7 KB
Name:  005-1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  54.3 KB
Name:  004-2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  003.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  47.4 KB
Name:  002.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  48.6 KB

Last edited by zebvance; 05-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Dunno free bump for ya though.

Take it all back apart and play with it some more.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks, that's what I have been doing for the past day.... Hopefully I can get this fig out.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

There's a rod that pushes on the ignition switch. Make sure it is seated in the ignition module on the base of the column. You can get at it from underneath with a flashlight and some patience. Mine is a little stiff since I fixed the column. That rod bends easily.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Does it also
Operate the turn signals and brights?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

so now I got all of it fixed but I cant get the turn signal working right?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Got this:

REASSEMBLY

Why, it's just the reverse of dissassembly, of course. Yeahright. There are a couple of things to watch for. The dimmer switch actuator is a little difficult to line up, and it can go together wrong. I know. Make sure that the oddly shaped end of the actuator (on the left in the photo) slides up through the main housing and is free to be moved by the arm on the turn signal lever.

Another thing to check is that the lock stud spring doesn't get caught in the housing when you're putting it back on. If you do this, one of two things will happen. Either the "Start" position of the lock assembly won't spring back or the steering wheel lock won't work when you put it all back together.

From here: http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

It's a GM column btw.

ETA: That spring you thought was part of the key buzzer is actually part of the hazard flasher switch.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 05-14-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Got this:

REASSEMBLY

Why, it's just the reverse of dissassembly, of course. Yeahright. There are a couple of things to watch for. The dimmer switch actuator is a little difficult to line up, and it can go together wrong. I know. Make sure that the oddly shaped end of the actuator (on the left in the photo) slides up through the main housing and is free to be moved by the arm on the turn signal lever.

Another thing to check is that the lock stud spring doesn't get caught in the housing when you're putting it back on. If you do this, one of two things will happen. Either the "Start" position of the lock assembly won't spring back or the steering wheel lock won't work when you put it all back together.

From here: http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

It's a GM column btw.

ETA: That spring you thought was part of the key buzzer is actually part of the hazard flasher switch.

Thanks for the info. I guess I fig this part out "Another thing to check is that the lock stud spring doesn't get caught in the housing when you're putting it back on. If you do this, one of two things will happen. Either the "Start" position of the lock assembly won't spring back or the steering wheel lock won't work when you put it all back together." now I just have to fig this out. "There are a couple of things to watch for. The dimmer switch actuator is a little difficult to line up, and it can go together wrong. I know. Make sure that the oddly shaped end of the actuator (on the left in the photo) slides up through the main housing and is free to be moved by the arm on the turn signal lever. "
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by zebvance
Thanks for the info. I guess I fig this part out "Another thing to check is that the lock stud spring doesn't get caught in the housing when you're putting it back on. If you do this, one of two things will happen. Either the "Start" position of the lock assembly won't spring back or the steering wheel lock won't work when you put it all back together." now I just have to fig this out. "There are a couple of things to watch for. The dimmer switch actuator is a little difficult to line up, and it can go together wrong. I know. Make sure that the oddly shaped end of the actuator (on the left in the photo) slides up through the main housing and is free to be moved by the arm on the turn signal lever. "
Better write up (more photos) here:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Yea I have already looked at that one
Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran