Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Column removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Steering Column removal

How do I get this thing off? I have all the bolts out that I can see...

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...ms_picture.jpg
Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

It should just pull straight off, that is if you've taken everything apart. You have to remove the lower dash. You have to also remove the bracket holding the column in place and then, on the underside of the column, there is a plastic cover that has the wire harness running through it. Remove the plastic cover from the blocks its clipped to on the left side of the column, its open on one side to allow the harness wires to be slipped out. The harness plug is clipped to the right side of the column and plugged into another harness plug. Unclip the plug from the column bracket and unplug. I think there is another set of wires running down the column and plugged into a black plastic box that is velcroed to the lower dash just left of the steering column. This black box is the relay for your intermittent wipers. Once all of the above is done you have to feed both harness plugs up through a very small gap inside the column at the same time as you pull on the housing. There is metal rod that runs from the top housing down inside the column to the switch for the high beams. Try and keep an eye on how it is positioned inside the top housing and the high beam switch at the bottom so you know how to put it back in place.
There are going to be times you wish you had an extra hand or two as well as extra joints that bend different ways but if you take your time and be careful, you'll get it done
Take lots of pics before and after you take things apart as you go so you know how it's supposed to look when it comes time to put it all back together and if you get stuck, come back here
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0L

thanks rudy. got all that done but it still won't come off. could it be the key cylinder? cause i can't seem to get that out
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Put the key into the cylinder and turn it while pulling it out. The cylinder won't come out without the key in it.
It looks like you have all the screws out but one and I don't know if that one holds anything other than the bar that goes to the signal lever but it might
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Now that I look at my old one I realize that you do have to take out the cylinder and you can forget what I said about a screw left in. Looking at mine I realize that you wouldn't have been able to remove the signal assembly without removing that screw. It's been a while since I had mine out...
Attached Thumbnails Steering Column removal-image-1437014018.jpg