Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starts and then dies, unless I floor it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and then dies, unless I floor it.

So today I was driving to school and the ol' XJ decide she wanted to have a hissy fit.

I was going about 35 down the road, and haven't had any issues with her besides a bad wheel bearing in the past couple months, and she just died while I was braking.

She'll turn over and run for 1-3 seconds and then just slowly die after which I can immediately hear the fuel pump re-pressurizing the system.

I can get it to run for 10-20 seconds if I floor it as soon as it turns over and as long as I pump the pedal and have the revs lope above 3250ish rpm.

Again, after it dies I can hear the fuel pump re-pressurizing the system which makes me suspect the pump went bad.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....have I mentioned that I HATE when I have an issue that I can't seem to figure out? doesn't happen to me often anymore but when it does I get frustrated quick.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Year: 1996-1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6,4.0-246000+miles

mind did the same thing,every once i awhile it will runn then when u go through a intersection she died or at a red light...replaced sparkplugs wire cap rotor an even fuel filter......an countless bottles of fuel water seperater....then changed throttle position sensor...an problem solved
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0/ 6cyl.

try the fuel filter..whens the last time you fueled up? it could be bad gas too

Last edited by REVIS 24; 02-15-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Sounds like the diaphragm in the pump may be bad (That SUX) good luck getting it running again. PS I know what you mean about "Issues" Everything we do to our jeeps are "Issues"...lol...Tj
Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

First thing I would check is the TPS.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM

its probaly the tps.....if u change the filter use high grade hose..trust me a full tank of gas gone some how made it home f in alsome
Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tomcarey88
mind did the same thing,every once i awhile it will runn then when u go through a intersection she died or at a red light...replaced sparkplugs wire cap rotor an even fuel filter......an countless bottles of fuel water seperater....then changed throttle position sensor...an problem solved
Mine has never done anything like this before, I checked the cap, rotor and plugs back in november and they all looked good and healthy so I didn't bother replacing them. My TPS is good as it turns over differently and won't rev up with the TPS disconnected...i also tested the TPS with a multi-meter back in november and it was within spec.

Originally Posted by REVIS 24
try the fuel filter..whens the last time you fueled up? it could be bad gas too
I go through about 15 gallons a week on average...just fueled up during the middle of last week, the fuel filter has about 5,000 miles on it, replaced that back in october with one made in Israel

off-topic: the sludge that came out the input of the old filter was NASTY.

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
Sounds like the diaphragm in the pump may be bad (That SUX) good luck getting it running again. PS I know what you mean about "Issues" Everything we do to our jeeps are "Issues"...lol...Tj
the check valve wouldn't cause this issue, it just means the pump has to re-pressurize the system every time you turn the Jeep on

Originally Posted by bigomudders
First thing I would check is the TPS.
read my reply to the first person to post

Originally Posted by tomcarey88
its probaly the tps.....if u change the filter use high grade hose..trust me a full tank of gas gone some how made it home f in alsome
Read previous responses, the TPS is good as is the fuel filter.

I've dealt with a bad TPS before, this has none of the symptoms of that.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM

i tried.......good luck
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 PM

timing could cause this as well. had the same thing happen in a chevy truck. would only run if held to the floor. the distributor hold down bolt came loose and let it turn. resset the timing and it ran fine after that.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM

a little far fetched..... but check the air filter make sure its not clogged or no animal nest in there, this happened to my buddy few years back,he says man i replaced everything the truck and its still running like ****,so i go under the hood and take the airbox off and theres a nest in there ,that thing filled the whole air box. ....after he cleaned it out the truck ran fine
Old 02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
timing could cause this as well. had the same thing happen in a chevy truck. would only run if held to the floor. the distributor hold down bolt came loose and let it turn. resset the timing and it ran fine after that.
Its worth a try, I'll definitely check that before I go through the hassle of replacing the fuel pump in a parking lot.

Originally Posted by REVIS 24
a little far fetched..... but check the air filter make sure its not clogged or no animal nest in there, this happened to my buddy few years back,he says man i replaced everything the truck and its still running like ****,so i go under the hood and take the airbox off and theres a nest in there ,that thing filled the whole air box. ....after he cleaned it out the truck ran fine
LOL!

thats not my problem though, I tried starting it without the intake hose connected, no difference.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Its worth a try, I'll definitely check that before I go through the hassle of replacing the fuel pump in a parking lot.

LOL!

thats not my problem though, I tried starting it without the intake hose connected, no difference.
yea i didnt think that was the case, . that was some funny sh$t though when your smoked out and open the air box to see that sight...i laughed so hard i had stomach spazams ,i think we laughed for about a half hour ....good times
Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

have you looked at the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by maverickdan
have you looked at the fuel pressure regulator?
yes, as far as I can tell its working fine. I unplugged the vaccum hose to it and there was not really any difference. Things are scary expensive too for what they are. and I feel like if the FPR were shot it wouldn't even start period, nor would I be able to keep it going as long as I kept it above 3,250rpm
Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 PM

i had the same problem.mine ended up being my fuel pump. if you can, take it to a shop and have them check your fuel pressure. it should be around 50lbs if you pump is good. when mine was doing that it was around 27lbs and just got lower the hotter my engine got to a point the engine would just die out.

Quick Reply: Starts and then dies, unless I floor it.