Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starting problem

Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2011
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.6 L
Default starting problem

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee 3.6L Auto 2 wheel drive. I live in Mexico and now only use the Cherokee on 2/3 occasions each month for longer journeys, preferring to use my Wrangler for local work. Recently when I go to the car in the morning, the automatic door opener wont operate when I touch the door handle with the key in my pocket. The doors will unlock when I press the unlock button on the key. Then when I try to start, the engine cranks over very well, but stutters as though it is only firing on 2/4 cylinders. If I switch off, take my foot off the brake, and press the starter once or twice, then put my foot back on the brake and press the starter, she starts up no problem. Once the car is on the road, it runs absolutely perfectly. I have had a fuel line pressure test put on the engine overnight, and it is absolutely the same pressure by mid the following morning. If I use the car on consecutive days I do not have this problem, or for that matter at any time when starting during the day after the initial start up.

The car was in Florida with me for a while (hot) and now in Mexico,(nearly as hot). I am wondering if this is a power problem in the mornings after not using the car for a few days. I once heard that batteries don't do to well after 2 years in a hot climate...could this be my problem?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Welcome to the forum, however: you might want to post this in the Grand Cherokee forum. This is the Cherokee XJ forum.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2011
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.6 L

You comment is really helpful!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

You came here for advice. I reckon you would like advice from those members who know your vehicle best. That would be over at the Grand Cherokee section. Therefore my advice to go there.

To make it easier for ye, here is the link
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/

So, dear new member, this is not me being not helpfull, but me pointing out you're in the wrong corner.
May I be so kind to suggest, again, you go there (just click the link, can't make it any easier than that). If you want to hang around here with your attitude, feel free to do so too.

Good luck.