Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Starting Problem

Hi,

My name is Dan. I have a 1997 cherokee sport. Two times now it has not started. Both times the following occured:

Engine turned over. Would almost start but never run. I could smell fuel after turning it over for a little bit. I removed the positive cable, waited 10 minutes and reattached it. Both times it started right up, ran a little rough initially and then ran fine. On the second experience I went to autozone to see any code but it was blank. It's running great right now but am wondering where the problem is before just guessing and replacing parts.

Your help and advise would be appreciated,

Dan
Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 AM

Hi Dan,

The best thing you could do is search the forum on no start issues. There are so many different scenarios related to "no start". I'm doing the same with mine to rule out everything. Unfortunately with a no start post like yours there's not too much detail to give anyone a starting point on where to even start helping you. Search and you will find issues related to sensors, relays, bad wiring, etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dbcmeaj
Hi,

My name is Dan. I have a 1997 cherokee sport. Two times now it has not started. Both times the following occured:

Engine turned over. Would almost start but never run. I could smell fuel after turning it over for a little bit. I removed the positive cable, waited 10 minutes and reattached it. Both times it started right up, ran a little rough initially and then ran fine. On the second experience I went to autozone to see any code but it was blank. It's running great right now but am wondering where the problem is before just guessing and replacing parts.

Your help and advise would be appreciated,

Dan
When's the last time you changed your spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

First off try waiting for the battery and CEL to go out before starting. Supposedly gives the computer time to to run it's scan. We were told by the tech who installed the aftermarket computer/chip in my son's Dodge Ram that this applies to all computer equipped vehicles. In fact the manufacturer of the computer/chip sold an optional dash mounted light for this purpose. Tech said he could just wait for the lights that come on with the key on to go out before starting. Never heard of it before myself but I had multiple misfires one time when I got in rush and started it immediately without waiting. No CEL came on. Waited a bit and after the lights went out it started and idled fine. Never tried it again.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Hmm sounds a little similar to mine, could it be the fuel pump? Try putting it in the on position (don't start) then turn it off. Do this three times and see if it starts right away. I was having hard starts, read that it could be the check valve or something in the fuel pump and this is sort of the ghetto way to get around it without fixing it. Can't hurt you to try.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for your inputs and sorry if I am not clear enough. I spent 4 hours prior to posting looking for similiar problems and found some things. Today it died in an intersection with no power this time and the removal of the positive on the battery didnt work. Had to tow it.

I appriciate everyone who has helped- still working on the solution.

Dan