Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Ok so I did some googling and I've narrowed down that my issue is somewhere in the fuel system. I'm guessing its not getting fuel. I just want to know if anyone else has had this issue.

This thing has happened maybe twice in the past 2 weeks. Ill go to turn on my jeep on completely flat ground and it turns over for as long as I turn the key. I turn the key off then turn it again the jeep starts right up and immediately dies. Then finally on the third turn of then key the jeep starts up runs rough for a bit then is back to normal.

I have the 4.0 engine with auto tranny and I just got it back from my mechanic who replaced the rear pinion seal. I don't know if he bumped something while down there or crushed a fuel line I just don't know.

Any help or links are welcome.

Guess I know where my refund is gonna end up
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM

Oh and there are no check engine lights on.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

The check engine light often turns on for no reason; these are older rigs. That sound like your fuel pump. I have replaced mine twice and am pretty sure about this. What's happening is that when you turn it over it pumps fuel to your engine, enough so that the next time you turn it over it will run for a second. This process is repeated the next time but it runs longer as there is more fuel available. Bad fuel pump. Recommendation: buy a Mopar or Bosch fuel pump. The other brands only last about a year.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I've got pretty much the same issue with one exception...mine always starts on the first crank of the day. After that, it will not start until the 3rd or 4th turn of the key. Doing the ole "turn ignition on 3-4 times to run fuel pump" doesn't really help. I would think if it were the fuel pump or check valve, it wouldn't crank fine every morning.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have the same problem pretty much. The first time I turn my jeep on it starts up fine, second it has a bit of trouble and the third it starts up for a second. I have to press on the gas pedal to keep it running. Recently my dad and I looked at what could possibly have been the problem, no luck. Prior to this I had low oil pressure and when I stopped at a red light or to make a turn, I'd get really low oil pressure and I'd get close to stalling. Eventually I did stall out. While under the hood the two hoses connecting to the leak detection pump were loose. I reconnected those and my oil pressure was fine. Now the problem is; having trouble keeping my jeep on. The check engine light is also on. I remember looking up the code that came on the reader and it said something about the fuel regulator? I'm not sure if that could be the reason why.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks for all the help hopefully I can push this off till it warms up a little...having no garage sure does suck