Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starter problem, Nss problem. HELP !

Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 lt
Exclamation Starter problem, Nss problem. HELP !

Hi, I have a 1995 jeep cherokee 4.0 ltr. I'm having problems with getting the thing to start. About a month ago it was playing up by going to start up and dash lights only coming on but no crank. I had the suspicion that it was the neutral switch but after researching (correct me if im wrong) if the reverse lights come on its not the Neutral switch at fault. So Ive tapped and tested the starter motor and nothing, changed the relay and even tried bypassing it. Im trying everything first before i have to cough up $330 for a new Neutral switch in case thats it. Any Ideas ?

Cheers Power down under
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Actually, your reverse lights can work and you might still have problems with the NSS. Mine acted up a lot on me. Pretty easy to remove, disassemble, clean, and put back. You'll save $300 too! I did mine without actually disconnecting the electrical connectors. Just let it hang while working on it. The only costs was a sheet of 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a $4 tube of dielectric grease. I got my fiance's help when it came time to rotate the switch before locking it down in the correct position. Took about an hour for everything. I did have to use needle-nosed vice grip pliers on a couple of the switch screw heads to disassemble it as the phillips heads were pretty corroded and I couldn't remove them with a screwdriver.

Here's the link I used to get info on how to do it. Best of luck to you!

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Year: 2001

Check the main positive power wire going from your positive to the starter. Mine broke in the insulation and I ended up replacing the starter even though it was still good. The easiest way to check is by connecting a jumper cable from positive terminal to where the main thick wire is attached to the starter and try and crank it over. The replacement wire is only $6 and is way beefier then stock
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Cheers i'll give it a swing and ill let you know how i go, (fingers crossed)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Kind of busy at the moment, just wanted to post this link;

If you hold the key over, and jiggle the shifter in park or neutral and it starts, it's your NSS. http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

That GoJeepXJ (<<fellow Aussie) link posted by macguyver35 is probably the best NSS rebuild write-up out there. I would recommend trying the jumper (Pins "B" and "C") to see if it will start. If it doesn't then you've ruled out your NSS as the no-start culprit and can focus your attention on other possible reasons.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM

In the sweet turn of irony, not even 12 hours after posting on here I'm now having the same problem and I'm pretty sure its my nss also. Tell me how this turns out for you so that ill have some idea as to what I'm in for
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

If you hear a click when you turn the key, and the small wire & terminal on the starter then gets power, it's not the NSS.

If that terminal/wire has power and it only starts if you whack the starter, it's the starter. (although once I had a bad cable connection on the starter that would make contact when I smacked it)

Power goes from the key to the starter relay, which will then close contacts sending battery power to the solenoid there, IF the NSS is grounding the relay.

If you turn the key, then power drops off, classic bad battery connection.

More than a few times I have found a bad battery cable ground connection on the block because it got hot.

It seems common people think they have cleaned the battery terminals, when they haven't. SHINY lead on all four surfaces!! I use a pocket knife, gently, for the insides, and a wire brush on the posts. The straight blade helps maximize the contact area. (is my thinking) Also it breaks the crust that a wire brush may not.

A whole lot of the story can be read right at the relay with a meter.

So there's that!

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-03-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Well after spending hours of doing everything i could, including pulling the nss and cleaning it and refitting it it still didnt work. so as any man does when **** doesnt work start hitting things !! i hit the starter with my jack handle and vrooom it started thanks for everyone that helped you were all very helpful.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 AM

Jonwebb there is a lot of helpful advise on the thread. My advise would be to check one thing at a time. Yeah its time consuming but at least you narrow down the possibilities of the problem. The link that Macgyver35 post http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm is very helpful and easy to follow. let me know how you go mate
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
it only starts if you whack the starter, it's the starter. (although once I had a bad cable connection on the starter that would make contact when I smacked it)
Right on! Glad you found the fault. They so seem more useful with the engine running.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Power down under, turns out it was only the tiny worthless ground strap that came out of my battery terminal since i never had a battery hold down on it. So the battery finally moved enough for it to pull out