Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalls while driving and a nasty whistle noise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalls while driving and a nasty whistle noise.

I'll be buying a family member's 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic in a month or two. It's got a couple issues that I'd like to help her resolve before I buy it.

It will randomly stall while she's driving it, but it only stalls for a second and then usually comes right back. It doesn't buck or sputter or run poorly aside from the engine cutting out. It always starts easily.

It's only happened to me once while I was driving it, and it happened pretty quickly, but it looked like the gauges (tach and speedometer, didn't notice the others) dropped to zero for that split second, but the radio stayed on as did the A/C.

After some searching, I thought maybe it sounded like the crank position sensor. I don't have an Ohm meter, but I'll try to find one if you guys think that could be the problem.

The other issue is a horrendous whistle noise it's making. It's not a belt or a pulley. It only happens after driving for 10 minutes or so, and it only happens when you let up off the gas. If you park the jeep and let it idle after the whistle starts, it will eventually go away.

She took it to a mechanic who cleaned the throttle body for 5 minutes, but the problem remains. I very slightly tightened a few bolts on the intake manifold yesterday and the noise hasn't returned yet, but she hasn't driven it a whole lot since then and I'm not confident that it's fixed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by eric.; 06-06-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Any input at all?

Last edited by eric.; 06-07-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Oops, bumping is against the rules. My bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

whistleing is most likely a vacuum leak
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You can pretty much figure on replacing the crank sensor to fix the stalling, should do the cam sensor too as cheap insurance. The whistling could be caused by a vacuum leak or a carbon caked throttle body.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM

Well the jeep is mine now. The whistle turned out to be a nasty looking intake manifold gasket. There may be two different stalling issues but they happen so infrequently that it might be hard to troubleshoot.

Sometimes the jeep just stalls totally while I'm driving. Could be backing down the driveway, driving in town or on the highway. No hesitation.. its running great and then just quits. I pull over and it starts right up like nothings wrong.

I haven't experienced the small hicups and gauges dropping since my first time driving it but we'll see.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by eric.
Well the jeep is mine now. The whistle turned out to be a nasty looking intake manifold gasket. There may be two different stalling issues but they happen so infrequently that it might be hard to troubleshoot.

Sometimes the jeep just stalls totally while I'm driving. Could be backing down the driveway, driving in town or on the highway. No hesitation.. its running great and then just quits. I pull over and it starts right up like nothings wrong.

I haven't experienced the small hicups and gauges dropping since my first time driving it but we'll see.
JUst replace the CPS and watch your problem go away.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 1999

Mine has the same issue. It stalled 2 times since I bought it. First time was on the HWY @ 70mph. drove it around for 2 weeks and put 300 miles with no issue. This am driving to work @ 20mph, died. and like you said starts right back up like nothing happened.I think I am getting a CPS and crossing my fingers that is the issue.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 Stroked - 4.7

The whistle is the bearing on the idler pully. Its going bad and could possibly be ceasing up causing a stall.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Year: 2000.1999,1996

Try unplugging the cks sensor and cam sensor both cleaning contacts and replug back in. Try that first before you replace them wont hurt and maybe just maybe that could fix the issue.Also clean the plug in on the back side of the coil pack.( its a pain in the *** to pull apart sometimes)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM

sounds like crank pos sensor. Mine was doing it until I changed it. The problem with the intermittent stalling is that the sensor will read good except for that split second that it is stalling, so a multimeter wont help you.

Get someone (like a girlfriend) who has skinnier arms than you to help with the job, that CPS is a ***** to get at
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by blinkbears
JUst replace the CPS and watch your problem go away.

Yeah swap out the CRANK POSITIONING SENSOR and I bet that problem goes away.

FWIW: Get that sensor from a Jeep Dealer ..... seems of all the sensors on the Cherokee the CPS is not one to get aftermarket.

It is located on the bell housing and may seem tough to swap out.

Originally Posted by schadelh
that CPS is a ***** to get at
It does not have to be difficult, I found that with the right tools it is quite easy to do.

Air Ratchet
Long Extension
Correct Socket

I tried with a conventional ratchet, but it was being difficult.

With the Air Ratchet it took less than 15 minutes to do the swap.